Friends,
We enjoyed our first evening at the orchestra.
Lily's first concert.
She plays the cello.
I was fully prepared for the worst.
Squeaky violins and a headache at the end.
The concert started
and the lights went down
and I took a deep breath.
The most amazing thing happened.
The orchestra instructor,
or is it maestro?
I don't know,
I have never been in an orchestra...
so let's just call him Mr. F.
Mr. F was the leader of this ensemble.
Is ensemble the right word?
Is ensemble the right word?
I really have no idea,
but let's continue.
Mr. F, walked back
to a piano behind the orchestra.
Wait, shouldn't he be in front?
What is going on?
The 4th grade musicians kept their eyes on the audience,
quietly and politely,
with good posture.
Mr. F made a motion,
he put his hand up,
and like puppets the students raised their instruments,
or bows, or whatever it is these
musicians use to make music.
And at once,
they began to make music.
Real music.
Live music.
The kind of music that gives you goose bumps.
They played beautiful melodies,
ending with a song,
that Lily predicted,
Charlotte would like best.
Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star,
which is the tune we sing her
lullaby to.
I was absolutely amazed,
because this is what live music does to me,
AMAZES.
Or maybe it was the stage full
of disciplined little
Von Trapps that amazed me?
Whatever it was,
the auditorium was alive,
with the sound of music.
Lily's group was the first to perform,
so naturally it just got better with each group.
To see the students
with just a little more time and practice,
and the more beautiful music they could create,
was awesome.
I could spend every Friday night
at the orchestra.
Lily works hard at practice.
And lugging that cello around.
I am proud of her.
Its on our list to see
The Chicago Symphony Orchestra,
asap.
Music is a healer to me.
Lily, my favorite inspiration!

No comments:
Post a Comment