Hi Friends!
(special shout out to Aunt K)
The weekend came to lay my Dad to rest.
It was wonderful and horrible,
and mostly time.
I was as ready, as I could be, having dealt with the anticipation, and preparation for weeks already.
I met my sisters and we made
photo collages of his unique life.
He made this really easy for us, as he had his photo albums perfectly organized.
All his favorite people, places, and events
in perfect chronological order.
He even had a page for each niece and nephew from birth through current day.
I realized there was a method to his madness
and it made me smile.
He also has carried around with him, on his many many relocation's in the past 35 years,
his wedding band from his (short lived)
marriage to my mom.
I was thrilled to see it.
It is now mine.
Lucky for me the night before the services my mom flew into town to hold my hand.
(because I demanded I needed her. I did.)
And Bestie Julie let me stay with her.
So I had many to celebrate my Dad with me, before heading to bed.
I can't sleep.
I don't sleep.
I avoid sleep.
I lay in bed for hours feeling anxious before actually falling asleep.
Once asleep, I wish I hadn't
because I wake up from horrific nightmares
all about my Dad.
And again lay anxious for hours, not sleeping.
Until its time to get up, and then I am so paralyzed with sleep I don't want to move.
But it was funeral day and I had to attend.
So I rose.
I dressed.
I arrived.
I greeted, I smiled, I listened, I thanked.
I went through all the motions.
It was amazing to see the many folks that showed up for my Dad, my family, and me.
I was overwhelmed with love and gratitude.
It absolutely carried me on that day.
The service was beautiful.
Exactly, as planned, but the unknown full house of an audience made it better than planned.
I got up to speak.
I was pleased with myself.
I didn't sob, or faint, or puke, or fall, or scream.
In other words, I surprised myself.
The day ended with lunch at the church and family gathering at Uncle Randy's.
Lots of love and good company.
A good rehearsal for the following day.
Burial.
Stay tuned.

No comments:
Post a Comment