Labels

Saturday, August 29, 2009

3rd Annual Chicago Triathlon

3 Team CARE Teams!
Finisher Medal The Original Team CARE! The BEST team to be a part of!




I think the triathlon was my first real post on this blog. So it has been a year already! Once again I participated in the Chicago Triathlon (World's Largest Triathlon) and was in the presence of pro athletes. What a rush!
As you may recall I do the corporate relay race with my co workers. It has been just the 3 of us (1 swimmer, 1 biker, and me the runner) for the past 2 years.
I am happy to announce our recruiting paid off and this year we had 3 teams!
It was quite brave and ambitious for some to sign up, as they had never done anything like it before.
One of the runners was the only other mom signed up. When it came to race day, she may not have been prepared as she would have liked (I know the feeling).
I wanted this to be a wonderful and not lonely or miserable experience for her, so I suggested that we run together. This meant I waited in transition area after my biker arrived until her biker arrived. My generous team was all for the team effort and we forgot about beating any records and instead focused on team work.
Once her biker got in, we were off. I'll be honest, I think we walked about 4 of the 6 miles. There was a point where she thought she wasn't going to make it. She just wanted to see her family and be done with it.
I encouraged her to continue and promised we could slow down or take as much time as she needed, but that we were going to finish. Together.
And we did. We saw her family and they were so proud of her!!! It gave her a burst of energy so I grabbed her hand and we ran toward the finish line holding hands! The announcer was giving us all sorts of attention and our teammates were on the sidelines cheering us on!
When we crossed the finish line she punched her fists in the air and shouted "YES!" then she looked at me and said "Thank You!" and we both started sobbing!!
It was the most emotional race I have ever done. It proved everything I had been preaching, since I was Team Captain this year about teamwork and wellness and camaraderie.
I said "Thank You" back to her. I was so honored she allowed me by her side to accomplish this feat!
She is a single mom and having her mother, neices, and 2 daughters there she proved a role model for all the women in her life. Her brother told her she was lazy and could never do it. And we showed him wrong!
I had the worst of times as far as the watchclock was concerned and the best of times as far as my heart and soul is concerned.
And I am in again for next year. Once again up to make my personal best.
And guess what? So is she!!! TEAM CARE!
I liked the coaching experience so much I have now offered to my neighbor and other moms in the area to act as trainer. We all have to start somewhere. We all improve as we practice. I want to inspire others because its more than physical fitness. Its achieving goals and that carries over into the rest of your life. You find yourself achieving the impossible. And you can't do it? I hate to quote anyone, but YES WE CAN!!!!

2 comments:

walters family said...

Me! Me! Train me!

I let out a burst of a sob when I read the end of the race part. Gosh. Inspirational is right!

The Gootch said...

And now I'm crying, too.

Yes, please move to Boise and be MY personal trainer! I just want to look like YOU!

My Blog List

Blog Archive