Labels

Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!










Ugh! Valentine's Day! Always a source of stress, expectations, and fallen dreams. I remember being in elementary school and being adament about the box of Valentine's I'd hand out to the class. I needed to find some that didn't actually say "love". Because if I ran out of the others and had to use ones that said "love" to a boy...in my class...I would be MORTIFIED...because I didn't actually...love him! Or I did...and I couldn't tell him...by a Valentine. How embarassing! Or being in high school and not actually having a boyfriend, but spending the day hoping and praying some mystery older classman would leave a carnation on my locker. Or Darin's and my first Valentine's when he did the usual and expected by getting me roses and lingerie from Victoria's Secret. To which I replied, "Thank you! Do you really want to see me in this get up?" To which he replied "Not really, but I thought it was something you would like." To which I replied "this is entirely too conservative for my choice!" and we laughed and laughed.

Our next Valentine's Day was the opposite, I was a new grad in my own apartment and he bought me a frying pan. For real. This time I was saddened by our relationship already so pracitical and domestic and craved for the roses and lingerie.
This year was our best Valentine's yet. We made plans to stay home. All 4 of us and enjoy the day of love together. We filled our house with pink gifts, candles, and heart decor. We chose to make crab legs at home (a sweet memory of our engagement dinner at Shaw's Crabhouse). So we pumped up the music, a mix of Sinatra, Van Morrison, and Norah Jones. Lily and Darin brought home some sweet pink roses to which Darin defended "I KNOW you don't like roses and instead like daisies and lilies and wild flowers, but it was Lily's choice!" to which I responded "they are beautiful and I love them!" and I meant it.
The four of us enjoyed the best crab we've ever tasted from coast to coast. We took turns telling each other exactly what we love about them and it was...by far... the best... Valentine's Day... I have ever had. No need for reservations, babysitters, or a fancy outfit. Just home, as usual, but TOGETHER and a few more "I love you's" than our everyday. The vibe all day in our home was love, love, love. I hate to get romantic about it, but with the wine and the music and the winks across the table in between bites, I can assure you there was no place either of us would rather be.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are such a beautiful writer, Heather. Your words make me want to snuggle into your world.
Love - Love - Love!

The Gootch said...

I cried. I am pregnant after all, but still. You're great and I love YOU!

My Blog List

Blog Archive