Labels

Saturday, January 24, 2015

December


 Hello Friends!
Catching my breath,
letting it go...
 
Playing catch up here on the blog.
 
So many exciting things have happened.
But let me go back and start where we left off.
 
I love Thanksgiving.
I love November.
 
I am not one to start Christmas
too early.
 
I like to let November be its own thing.
 
But...I do have to plan ahead,
as we leave for Colorado happily,
 in what seems like mid November,
and return to Full On Christmas in Chicago.
 
I wanted to arrive back to the Midwest,
ahead of the game this year,
so I decorated, as much as I could,
before we left.
 
Ceci is my partner in holiday decorating.
Every year.
 
Belated Grandma Gauthier's
Christmas Village set,
is both of our favorites.
 
I bought some additions to our town,
and added some depth, making hills,
which were just books disguised under
Grandma Busha's quilt that we use as a canvas.
 
I like having 2 Grandma's
holiday magic as part of our creation.
 
Ceci gave it extra snow this year,
when in real life,
outside our door,
we had none.
 
And then for good measure,
she added even more extra snow.
 

The poor townsfolk knee deep,

in their travels to the grocer, the bakery,

the hillside chapel.

Insert heart emoticon here.

 
It was the prettiest little town we have ever had!
We pretend that's our house on the left.
A gift from Papa Paul.
 
 
So regarding planning ahead,
because we leave at Thanksgiving...
...and arrive at Christmas
also means...
 
Our Elf magically appears
 upon arrival from the airport.
 
Back home.
 
The Elf
(named Ms. Jingles Bell Clause)
and I,
 have a love/hate relationship.
 
I was hesitant to start this Elf on a Shelf tradition.
 
I was so super, super late to jump on this train.
 
Consciously,
for super, super intentional reasons.
 
To me, it seemed like just another thing to remember in a month of
already jamming in
too many things
to remember.
 
But the girls,
you know.
 
They beg,
in really sweet ways.
 
So okay, okay!
 
I got over my adult self,
and obliged.
 
 
So we have an Elf,
that I never wanted.
And she is my responsibility.
 
The Elf and I 
are becoming friends
because...
sometimes...
 
when the evening has been hard,
and I have been a drill sergeant
to the kids...
homework, dinner, bath, read, bed.
 
Now.  Faster. Go. Ten minutes left.
 
YesIloveyou...
onemorekiss...
goodnight...
goodnight.
goodnightgoodnightgoodnight!
 
After the bedtime business,
 
I come downstairs alone.
To the quiet.
 
And I tidy up, and watch the fire burn out,
or blow out the candles,
or turn out the lights,
 
 maybe have a glass of wine...
(you think?)
 
and remember the effing Elf.
 
I, then, spring off the couch
with a such a clatter.
You would think
I was Santa,
and that I  matter.
(couldn't help my poetry there)
 
The Elf is the one sweet thing I can do for my kids
on these busy December days,
when I am overwhelmed keeping up,
with all the doing that needs to be done.
 
Days, it seems,
that I am mostly was just giving orders,
to my kids.
 
And questioning if I am spending my time
in the right places.
 
Amazon.com is so the right place,
don't get me wrong.
 
But so is my own fireplace,
sometimes, and I should sit and watch it,
instead of letting it be in my background.
 
My kids faces,
are also the right place.
 
Maybe I should watch them,
but I am busy addressing Christmas cards.
 
So yes.
 
I love/hate this little Elf, Ms. Jingles.
 
Because she adds another To Do,
to my already Can't Remember To Do list.
 
She also brings me back,
 each night in December,
to what matters most to me.
 
My kids childhood.
Magic.
Quiet.
Play.
 
And when I allow myself to play,
the kids wake up to magic.
 
Lily knows, the Elf is me.
But she dare not speak it.
 
Because, her and I love to play.
 
Especially for Charlotte.
Its our unspoken secret.
 
We only speak with looks in our eyes,
and don't actually talk about it.
 
"I know its you, Mom." her eyes say.
 
"I know you know, Lily.  Let's keep the magic."
-my eyes say back.
 
"Oh Ceci, the Elf, how did she ever get here?"
-says Lily out loud.
 
With a wink to me.
And a wink and smile back to her.
 
 
 I save the best for last.
 
Our tree comes up when we get home.
 
We always get a real tree.
 
This year was also the biggest and most divine tree we have ever had.
 
Charlotte thinks she picked it out.
 
We all let her think that.
 
It didn't fall over,
as you recall,
the trees of yesteryears did.
 
D's the brawn to get the tree in
and standing,
and my partner for getting the lights strung.
 
Necessary annoying tasks, so really we can get down to business.
 
The girls and I decorate.
 
I did not move a thing this year,
as you recall the yesteryears when
we had one big clump or ornaments
in the bottom left corner,
and none anywhere else.
 
This year, without my control,
the whole eclectic tree and ornaments
and the people decorating,
 perfected their craft,
beyond my standard of perfection.
 
A masterpiece creation.
 
Grandma Diane shared some additional ornaments for us to add from D's childhood.
 
We used the angel from my childhood
circa 1988-ish.
 
The stage was set for a lovely holiday.
 
Peace, love, and Elf on the Damn Shelf.
 

No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive