D and I have been married for 10 years.
10. Big. Huge. Years.
We went from 2 crazy kids
walking down the aisle,
vowing our love 10 years ago...
To 2 crazy grown up kids
raising 2 crazy little kids,
walking this crazy little thing called love,
one step at a time.
We have owned 2 houses.
Our jobs have evolved.
Our cars are probably the same
with a lot more miles on them.
Our minds and bodies are probably the same,
with a lot more miles on them.
I read a cute book, in anticipation of my anniversary.
It was a Book of Love Stories
10. Big. Huge. Years.
We went from 2 crazy kids
walking down the aisle,
vowing our love 10 years ago...
To 2 crazy grown up kids
raising 2 crazy little kids,
walking this crazy little thing called love,
one step at a time.
We have owned 2 houses.
Our jobs have evolved.
Our cars are probably the same
with a lot more miles on them.
Our minds and bodies are probably the same,
with a lot more miles on them.
I read a cute book, in anticipation of my anniversary.
It was a Book of Love Stories
in 6 words or less.
So I have created,
no more than 23
love stories for D and me,
in 6 words or less
(except despite my attempts,
I couldn't do less).
At first, when I started doodling
"Our 6 Word Love Story"
"Love Story"
was not what came to mind.
What came to mind in 6 words
was where we were at.
Where we were was dealing with
the daily irritations that come
with 10 years of marriage.
(or maybe they have always been there?)
Enjoy my inspirational
poetic greatness...
"Me: clean up!
He: pay bills."
"Is that you?
Who are you?"
"Blame yourself.
I didn't married me."
But then I got to thinking
about how those daily irritations are
only part of 10 years
(10 years of bliss, mind you!)
There are other daily things
that are far more important.
And will always be remembered much more clearly when all is said and done.
They are as follows...
(in more than 6 words)
The Secret Ballroom Dances we hold
in the parking lot or grocery store aisle.
The Easy Forgiveness
when either of us has acted foolishly.
The Hand Holding
even with kids or laptops on our laps.
The Comfort of being together.
The Way we see the world together
on our travels near and far.

The Love that is waiting for us at home
when the day has been bad
and the world has been unkind.
The Ability to admit when the day has been bad.
The Belief in one another
that we are able to live our dreams.
The Support to each other to make dreams happen.
Even,
(or especially when),
it is one's dream and not the others.
Mostly,
The Laughter.
When things are good, we laugh.

And when things suck so bad,
that we are not sure we will make it another day,
we meet each other's eyes...
and we laugh.
We laugh at how bad it is.
We wonder how it got this way?
How could we be so far apart?
How have we veered so far from our path and from each other?
And its horrible and hilarious.
And then we get back together.
And we laugh.
Joining hands, and starting again.
Together.
The Truth is,
I love Darin so much.
"He is
the only
for me."
"We met
and it
was done."
"I am
living the dream
Y'alls!"
"What's not
to love
About Darin?"
"So lucky
to got you,
Babe!"
And lastly,
our wedding song
(and note to self)
"have I
told you
lately, that...?"
Thanks to all the love we felt on our anniversary and everyday from you.
Marriage, like parenting,
takes a village.
We are blessed to have many fans.
A huge, loud, spirited and colorful cheering section,
always rooting for us.

We are lucky to have many, many folks that drive us right back to each other
when we want to run away
from the hardships.
Many that think we have what it takes.
Many that celebrate us.
Believe in us.
I know, the 3 of you reading this do.
I, thank you.
It matters.
I know 10 years is nothing compared to the decades we have ahead of us.
And each step of the journey is just that.
Another step.
And its not all bouquets and beauty and beers,
as showcased on our actual wedding day.
In this moment,
I would like to report
that our children are growing up.
And we are growing too.
And with the girls' growth we find some freedom from the depedency of infant and toddlerhood.
We have an opportunity to focus.
Darin and I are finding a time
to get to know each other
again.
And,
right this second
I want write D a poem...
"its nice
to know you.
Again."
I can only hope every decade finds me in this lovely place of discovery and love and hope.
And the contentment that
you can't get to the rainbow,
without a storm.
I can only be honest by admitting that we have had a few storms in 10 years.
I can only be honest by admitting many have been forced by me.
I trust Darin and I can survive the stormy,
raining days that come our way.
as they were
the night
we met.
So we grow, we change, and we stay the same.
"It's all good.
To 10 more!"
(except despite my attempts,
I couldn't do less).
At first, when I started doodling
"Our 6 Word Love Story"
"Love Story"
was not what came to mind.
What came to mind in 6 words
was where we were at.
Where we were was dealing with
the daily irritations that come
with 10 years of marriage.
(or maybe they have always been there?)
Enjoy my inspirational
poetic greatness...
"Me: clean up!
He: pay bills."
"Is that you?
Who are you?"
"Blame yourself.
I didn't married me."
But then I got to thinking
about how those daily irritations are
only part of 10 years
(10 years of bliss, mind you!)
There are other daily things
that are far more important.
And will always be remembered much more clearly when all is said and done.
They are as follows...
(in more than 6 words)
The Secret Ballroom Dances we hold
in the parking lot or grocery store aisle.
The Easy Forgiveness
when either of us has acted foolishly.
The Hand Holding
even with kids or laptops on our laps.
The Comfort of being together.
The Way we see the world together
on our travels near and far.

The Love that is waiting for us at home
when the day has been bad
and the world has been unkind.
The Ability to admit when the day has been bad.
The Belief in one another
that we are able to live our dreams.
The Support to each other to make dreams happen.
Even,
(or especially when),
it is one's dream and not the others.
Mostly,
The Laughter.
When things are good, we laugh.

And when things suck so bad,
that we are not sure we will make it another day,
we meet each other's eyes...
and we laugh.
We laugh at how bad it is.
We wonder how it got this way?
How could we be so far apart?
How have we veered so far from our path and from each other?
And its horrible and hilarious.
And then we get back together.
And we laugh.
Joining hands, and starting again.
Together.
The Truth is,
I love Darin so much.
"He is
the only
for me."
"We met
and it
was done."
"I am
living the dream
Y'alls!"
"What's not
to love
About Darin?"
"So lucky
to got you,
Babe!"
And lastly,
our wedding song
(and note to self)
"have I
told you
lately, that...?"
Thanks to all the love we felt on our anniversary and everyday from you.
Marriage, like parenting,
takes a village.
We are blessed to have many fans.
A huge, loud, spirited and colorful cheering section,
always rooting for us.

We are lucky to have many, many folks that drive us right back to each other
when we want to run away
from the hardships.
Many that think we have what it takes.
Many that celebrate us.
Believe in us.
I know, the 3 of you reading this do.
I, thank you.
It matters.
I know 10 years is nothing compared to the decades we have ahead of us.
And each step of the journey is just that.
Another step.
And its not all bouquets and beauty and beers,
as showcased on our actual wedding day.
In this moment,
I would like to report
that our children are growing up.
And we are growing too.
And with the girls' growth we find some freedom from the depedency of infant and toddlerhood.
We have an opportunity to focus.
Darin and I are finding a time
to get to know each other
again.
And,
right this second
I want write D a poem...
"its nice
to know you.
Again."
I can only hope every decade finds me in this lovely place of discovery and love and hope.
And the contentment that
you can't get to the rainbow,
without a storm.
I can only be honest by admitting that we have had a few storms in 10 years.
I can only be honest by admitting many have been forced by me.
I trust Darin and I can survive the stormy,
raining days that come our way.
There is a mutual love, respect, and admiration.
Those qualities are remain the same, as they were
the night
we met.
So we grow, we change, and we stay the same.
"It's all good.
To 10 more!"


No comments:
Post a Comment