Labels

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Summer Lovin' had me a blast. Past tense. Had.

I try to keep up posting about
the big events of our summer.
The weekends away and such.
I haven't posted about The Regular.
The Everyday.
Most of our time is not out of town,
despite our regular out of town-ness.
Most of our daily routine includes the pool,
the sprinkler park, picnics, and the park district activities with neighborhood friends.

We've seen cold blooded creatures,
Magicians, and Zumba'd to our hearts content just
steps and a wagon ride away from our house.

 We've attended neighborhood festivals, filled with our kids' friends, 
 and their parents,
our adult peers and friends.

We have seen fireworks
wherever we can find them.
Even when caught by the cops,
 in neighbors' backyards.
Criminal hoodsters.
We check out hot spots in our area.
For instance, A Sonic Grand Opening!
(have you been?  I never had!)
 Its a real old school drive in.
Rollerskates included.
Lily thinks I should get a new job,
as a car hop,
why?
because...
I would be so good at it.
(love her flattery)
I was tempted.
But quickly remind her,
someday she will be a teenager,
 in need of a job,
and we all agreed this may be,
 the place for her.
(not me)
Naturally, she would be following in my
A&W footsteps
of teenage jobs.
Except by the time I worked at A&W,
the official Drive In had ended.
Leaving me no rollerskates.
But green apron, green bow tie,
nylons and white orthopedic shoes instead.
That is, if I wasn't dressed in
the big Root Beer Bear Costume,
taunting the village to come in
for a frosty cold one.

On Sonic Grand Opening, a 103 degree day we choose to do
the whole drive in experience
with the windows down.
 We enjoyed our no seat belt comfort...
in the sweaty heat of our oppressively hot car.
 And Chicago style dawgs on our laps.
Our evenings are hot and exhausted
and routine-less.
Which demands creative insight for survival.
Lily is never short on ideas for entertainment.
One night it was an American Doll Fashion show.
Today it was zhu-zhu pet races.
Charlotte melted,
because her chosen rat was the loser.
The official invite for fashion show below.
(If I knew this was blog material, I would have perfected my cursive.
Does anyone know how to write and not type?
Super foreign to me.)
Lily had to fill in the blanks about details,
I wasn't sure about.



You may wonder who
the mystery doll models were.
Let me confirm:
Kit, Dolly, Bitty and Minnie.
I would hate to leave you in suspense!

Can you came?
(clearly its time for back to school grammar lessons)

We had to check in upon entrance.
Darin's signature for Charlotte was not valid.
Charlotte had to sign in herself.
(clearly its time for back to school and signing full names)

A few months ago, I begged for this freedom.
I wanted long and lazy days.
Now that July is done.
I am ready to go school shopping.
Looking forward to alarms being set,
and backpacks being packed.
I know I will kick myself for saying this,
 come October, when the madness has hit.
It is wonderful to have the time and space
 to let be.
But I, personally, function better when
the necessary schedules are in place.
I thrive on schedules, lists, and routine.
Don't tell anyone,
but I have also been able to fit in naps.
And no longer sleep at night.
The only thing to wake up for is coffee.
And that can happen after 9 am.
We have been so leisurely, its sad for my OCD.
Can I make soup
and put on a cardigan anytime soon
with an early wake up call?

No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive