Labels

Saturday, November 23, 2013

My Author

So Friends,
this is big time to me.
 
I was so stupid,
I almost missed it.
 
My fabulous company,
fully supports the
Chicago Public Library Foundation.
 
What does this means to me?
 
It means,
that I was asked
 to attend a dinner.
 
I thought this was a late night event
 that had nothing to do
 with my healthcare business,
and maybe I received the invite in error?
 
So I declined.
 
Then,
my Fantastic Leadership,
informed me,
 
I must attend.
 
So I sighed,
(maybe said "uff-da", a term I taught my leadership team,
they are still unsure about what it means,but surely they understand me)
 
and arranged babysitters,
and tried to find
 something to wear to work,
 
that would be...
 
 a day to night outfit,
...like InStyle magazine tells us to do.
 
And I showed up.
 
With a yawn,
and a hint of resentment,
because I wasn't at home,
in yoga pants,
like I am so used to doing.
 
It took me about 90 seconds to realize,
where I actually was.
 
And the amazing event
I was participating in.
 
I started to meet and greet,
and I was hooked, line and sinker!

 I admired the event planning skills.
 
Especially, because a very brave young
girl approached me and shared
the fact that she participated in the set up.
 
She also had Down Syndrome.
 
I applauded her bravery,
walking up to a group of strangers.
 
It takes courage to walk up to a group full
of people wearing business blazers!
 
She was in an colorful headband.
 
I was a little jealous.
 
I admitted to her,
even though I was one of them,
 
I would never have had the courage,
that she did,
 to join in and introduce myself.
 
We shared a secret laugh.
 
She admitted she never had fear,
but walked up to me because I seemed nice.
 
I admitted, I welcomed her conversation,
because she seemed nice too.
 
I love meeting people.
 
Also, she did a fantastic job,
with the party prep, as you can see.
 

Come to find out,
it was the best experience.
 
 Umm, Ever.
 
 Thank you,
Fantastic Company Leadership,
for making me attend.
 
You know that question,
 
"if you could have dinner with anyone in the world, who would it be, and why?"
 
I got that dinner.
I was in the presence of greatness.
 
I had a front row seat to a conversation between Michael Lewis and Isabel Allende.


The mayor also spoke.
 
That was cool,
but even better...
 
I sat at a table with An Author.
 
We were sitting directly across from each other,
(the farthest distance possible),
so we didn't have a chance to connect.
 
To be honest,
I didn't know her,
or the book,
but her husband graciously
 introduced himself,
and I liked him upon arrival.
 
I found out it was also their anniversary.
I thanked him for sharing her,
his award winning wife,
with us.
 
Little did I know,
at the time,
I was about to meet a VIP in my life.
 
 I love to read.
I love to write.
I love to connect.
 
No secret.
 
It wasn't until after dinner,
I scooted next to,
Theresa Schwegel
(who I am now referring to as "My Author")
and we connected.
 
Connected in the way that
twin sisters connect after years of
living apart in a Afterschool TV Special.
 
I met The Person,
and so did My Author.
 
In a matter of 20 minutes,
we had already shared our All.
We spoke the same language.
 
We were both thrilled to have finally
met someone who 'gets it'.
 
Gets us.
 
Gets our emotions.
 
Our minds.
 
Yeah, we totally 'got' each other.
 
Strangers, to start.
 

So, I guess what I am saying is,
when you are tired
and invited to a dinner,
go and enjoy.
 
Don't judge a book by its cover.
 
I swear, I have a book in me,
just waiting to come out.
 
I am having coffee with My Author,
to discuss the details.
 
Stay tuned, Friends,
maybe I will be Your Author, someday!





No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive