Labels

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Thanksgiving

 
Friends!
Hi! Hi! Hi!
 
I am a blogger slacker.
 
I want to blog and share everything,
but I am finding its becoming a challenge
 to find the time.
 
Where is the time and where is it going?
 
Blogging is a huge priority to me.
 
But somehow,
survival,
has taken a front seat.
 
Survival meaning,
dance class, baths, bedtimes and meetings,
or something like that.
 
So, I am changing,
and the blog can to.
For now,
I will just share,
 what I can,
 in the time
that I can find.
 
Is that cool, Friends?
 
 
Trust me,
when we get together for coffee wine,
I will share the full details.
 
In the meantime,
here's a quick catch up.
 
Thanksgiving in Colorado.
 
Ahh...
 
We hosted our annual
Thanksgiving Eve
Neighborhood Poker Party
the night before.
 
Even with guests still in the house,
we woke up bright eyed
and bushy tailed.
 
We were counting the minutes,
waiting for our cab
 to take us to
the airport
to get this
(well earned)
vacation started!
Boo-ya!

Immediately upon arrival,
I found myself giving thanks,
 smack dab in the middle of,
 my happy place...
surrounded by my greatest Loves,
and also,
sunshine and mountains.
 
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday,
but Lily is counting down to another.
One that involves a lot more planning,
than eating and napping,
for me.
(help! panic! coming soon!)
 
I needed some time alone with my oldest girl,
so we took a long walk together.
 
5 miles to be exact. 
 
This was her longest walk, ever.
Well sorta...
...she didn't really walk the whole way.
 
She cartwheeled at least half of it.
 
The child is growing up.
 
She finds herself begging for independence,
and then wanting to be tucked in like a baby,
all at once.
 
I find myself vacillating with her.
 
Giving her independence
and then quickly pulling her back into my arms.
 
The role of mother is chock full of question marks.
And there is no answer book,
written for you and your child.

 
You just have to leap and trust
 your own heart and instincts.
 
No matter what.
Its hard to know what to do.
And there are no metrics or key performance
indicators to report.

I want to remove any obstacles,
that get in the way,
 of letting my
Littles shine their brightest light.
And then slowly,
I send them off to the world.
 
Or in this case,
a stage at a Children's Theater.
And you just sit back and relax and enjoy,
the fruit from your labor
(pun intended).
 
Unless you're me.
Then you sit at the edge of your seat.
And watch every move they make.
And wonder why you have the most
nervous and anxious kids on the stage.
And you remember,
they actually came from you,
and apples don't fall far from the trees.


And then you sit there in amazement,
that your kids are the most lovable and beautiful beings on the stage,
and in the whole wide universe.
And you could never take credit for this,
so you remind yourself,
apples don't fall far from Nanna trees either.


 
During our get away
we got out of the house a little,
for brunch and walks and a Children's Theater,
but mostly we stayed home and played.
 
We opened a store that showcased
our talents.
 
Nanna got out her oldest possession.
Her flute from high school.
The (average) music lured the buyers in
for our craft sale.



It was so fun to have uninterrupted days
to just sit back and play with my kids.
 
They are so creative and so fun.
They are a joy to be around.
 
 
I think I will use that
as a key performance indicator.
 
Hope you had a relaxing
and family centered
Thanksgiving.
 


No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive