Labels

Monday, February 7, 2011

Charlotte is everything I ever wanted

It may not surprise some of you that I thought FOR SURE Charlotte was a boy.
Like I thought FOR SURE Lily was a girl.
I had these images in my mind about my life that came from a Danielle Steele novel, the first raunchy-grown up book that I borrowed(aka stole) from a friend's mom years ago.
In this particular book, the beautiful woman (aka ME), stepped off a plane with a spunky, curly haired, gregarious daughter, and a bouncy, chubby, happy baby boy in her arms.
Right there, at 14 years old I was determined this was my future.
I named them (Lily and Charlie).
You can imagine my shock when Charlie, became Charlotte at the ultrasound appointment.
What I could never imagine, until it happened, was the fact that...
I have a bouncy, chubby, happy baby just as I always wanted.
I learned you do not want what you want, you want what you have!

When I came home and looked in the mirror at myself after the ultrasound...
I saw my eyeballs so full of glee!
TWO GIRLS!!! TWO GIRLS!!! Two girls can only be better than one.
So why the thought of a boy? My mom told me all along
(because she KNOWS this stuff)
"IT's A GIRL! I just feel it!"
I told her she was wrong.
I FEEl this stuff too.
(1 for 1 so far)
She was right.
And as life happens, I wish for everyone to witness the girlness and sisterhood as I do.
As they wish for me,the mother/son bit or brother/sister/or Dad/Son thing.
We have what we have and it is as it should be.
It took me a long time to get to my point, but my point is...
Lily was the girl I dreamed about and continues to be.
I was afraid of a second born girl when I already loved Lily and
I already knew no girl could compare.
What I desired from the next child was...
a little person that reminded me of Darin...easy, cute and cool in their ways,
a lover like Darin, and not a fighter like Lily and I,
a child that would want to stay home with us,
a child that would be easier on emotions,
and what I got was a child that meets these requirements and more.
Charlotte is a girl that has lived other lives.
I swear it.
Her age is 2, her compassion is 102.
Like any 2 year old, she is in to independence and choosing herself.
"I choose, Mama. I choose!" is the matra at every decision point from sun up till sun down.
I, personally want to dress her in things that are comfy, like me.
She choses to wear, what Daddy typically dresses her in, because its just like him.
I have come to find out the girl likes pockets!

She has all the leggings and tights and dresses, big sister Lily has
...but she wants to wear something with pockets.
Her choice. She knows just what to do with pockets.
She can do it forward and backwards. I Thank God every day for answered and unanswered prayers.
I Thank God everyday for Charlotte Thelen Lowe!
The greatest baby love of all times.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Sweet, sweet post!

My Blog List

Blog Archive