My kids are (mostly )well behaved and I (usually) enjoy their company.
I think (and hope) they would report Darin and I are also (mostly) well behaved and they (usually) enjoy our company as well.
The questions and talk regarding misbehaving moments (on their part or ours/chicken or egg?) take up a bigger percentage of our time than the actual misbehaving moments do.
Why?
We question what we did, what we should do, what will we do next time, etc. What is punishment? What is discipline?
We decided we spend so much of our time on focusing what is wrong, we should spend at least some time on praising good behavior.
In spite of learning rules and lessons we also want to keep a balance and focus on the positive.
Lily has been working so hard in the first grade. Working on being responsible, working on homework, working on following new rules and routines, working on social etiquette on the playground, even when it is oh so hard (and we don't have the answers for her).
We decided setting a goal with a reward for good behavior, because Lord only knows, if she didn't have it, there would be the consequence.
She came home with a monthly behavior report from school worthy of celebration.
So we rewarded her with her choice in prize.
An afternoon mini golfing.
Indoor mini golf, as it is November now.
Darin worked hard teaching C how to hold her club.
C's boots were on the wrong feet and she wasn't all that concerned about her form, despite Daddy's attempts.
The girls lapped Darin and I in their rounds.
Lily gladly posed for a quick picture as we passed them.
Here she is showcasing her new BFF necklace.
Kylie, of course, holds the other half of the heart.
I had a necklace like this myself.
I remember, oh yes, I remember the glory of having a BFF to get you through the day.
I still have the glory of a BFF to share your stories with when you finally get a chance to talk!
Darin and the girls continued on to play games.
(as I went straight to Dance, Dance, Revolution)
(as I went straight to Dance, Dance, Revolution)
And with all these winnings we could pick out a few cheap tattoos!
As D and I were on hole 2, and the kids were on hole 10, he laughed and said "its like a date"
It totally was like a date.
But better, because our kids were there.
Somewhere.
Not too close, but not too far.
Then our photographer showed up and posed us.
This afternoon rewarded us all.

No comments:
Post a Comment