Labels

Monday, April 30, 2012

she works hard for the money...

Friends,
I do not know what to do, so I am writing Dear Diary/Dear Abby style tonight.
Let me start with the facts.
There are children in Africa without running water,
and mine (Lily) is dumping her entire bottle of gifted from Easter Bunny fancy bubble bath down the drain at once,
playing "cooking" in the shower.
It makes me crazy mad.

For those 3 of you that don't already know, I pride myself on being raised by a single working mom.
When I was exactly Lily's age, my mom and I lived in a one bedroom apartment for a short period of time. 
We shared a bed.
My mom created a playspace/cubby behind the couch for my things and my own special private place.
My kids have their own rooms.
They have their own bathroom.
They have their own sinks in their own bathroom.
And a finished basement filled with toys, just for them.
And there is little respect and gratitude for anything,
because there is always more.
I have spent so much time on this issue.
Mostly, questioning my parenting.
What are we doing raising a monster brat child?
How could she be so ungrateful?
We work hard for the (never enough) money!
I am blessed with the opportunity to work at a job in the city.


I am also blessed with the opportunity to have playdates on weekday afternoons.

I like to work.  I like my job.
I see my future and I fully intend on doing more work. 
Bigger work.  More work.
I know what comes along with it.
A lot of stress and anxiety.
I know this because I see Darin doing it.
His company is international.
So he does 4 am conference calls.
And 9 pm conference calls.
He flies to the moon and back in a day to get home in time to put the kids to bed.
And he sometimes stares into the air with no expression and I know he is not thinking about his football draft.
He is under pressure.
And sometimes I am jealous.
For instance, I am reading a book on French Parenting, and I was elated to tell him some of my new tips.
He had some things to say about French adults that he works with and wasn't that interested in hearing why we were parenting all American and all wrong.
And I wished I had his opportunity to talk first hand about stereotypes and work ethics and cultural differences.
My point (and I do have one) is that Darin and I work hard.
Like everyone.
And we are grateful for the opportunities.
And we want our kids to have everything.
Especially, everything we didn't have.
So when our child, throws her bubble bath = money down the drain it makes us steaming mad.
And I think back to my childhood, and
my Dad alway said "life isn't served on a silver platter."
My mom gave me everything she had.
And I know, to me, it still wasn't enough.
Because someone always had more.
I assume my stepdad Paul, thought I was a bit of a snob for always wanting, expecting more.
And I did.
Its true.
So its no wonder, Lily feels the same entitlement.
I did.
Its a passing of the generational torch.
And I think to myself, if you want more Lily,
go out and get it.
She will.
In the meantime, she will be earning her own money first hand by doing chores around the house.
Once again, I know I am not alone in this feeling.
It universal.
And once again at the ripe age of 36, I would like to report...
my parents were right.

No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive