Labels

Friday, October 18, 2013

Roll out the barrel

Friends,
There is nothing like game day
 in Madison, WI.
 
Its the best.
 
Its become an annual tradition,
for D and me,
 to show up together,
 once a season.
 
So following tradition,
last Saturday we threw the kids
 at Darci and Jason.
 
And ran out the door,
without looking back.
 
We missed soccer games.
The kids missed a bath.
Laundry didn't get done.
 
We don't care too much about that.
 
We put our red on
and drove off,
with our own music and conversation,
 and no censoring for kids in the backseat.
 
We arrive with excitement
and have a cocktail in hand,
 by late morning.
 
Its awesome.
 
We invite ourselves to,
 the World's Greatest Tailgate Party.
 
We got offers from half a dozen couples,
for a sleep over months before the event.
 
Its so comforting to know
we are invited
and will be taken care of,
by many.
 
The day is always a perfect fall day.
The weather obeys us.
Every year.
 
Its perfect when its chilly,
Its perfect when its warm.
Its perfect when it drizzles.
 
Whatever the weather is,
it is wonderful.
 
This year?
Sunny and fantastic.
The leaves changing color
 and sun shining on our faces.
 
 Chilly enough for a bon fire
 when the day turns to night.
 
Love it!
 
The food, drink, band
 and Bloody Mary Bar,
would be enough to make this
 an event
worth the long drive both ways.
 
But that stuff doesn't compare to
the company.
 
The people there are the magical and inspiring.
Our most comfy, cozy, people,
they feel like home.
 
This one,
entered in a state of anxiety.

Thank God,

I am not alone.
 
We hugged,
and sat on a cooler,

and ignored the party for a minute.

We dished the business.

Megan is married to D's best buddy, Brock.

So, we know each other's life perfectly.

We married the same man.

And we are sisters.

And we love our spouses,
and each others spouses.
And each other.
 
It was fantastic to talk,
 truth with Megan.
 
It was much better than smiling
 and saying everything was fine,
like we did in our youth.
 
As honest, truth telling grown ups,
we are learning so much more from each other.
Our friendship is so much deeper. 
Its so much better to be older and wiser!
Wrinkles and all.

 
The person who was most vocal
and forward thinking
 about D and my
sleeping arrangements
 was Maria.
She welcomed me with big hugs and smiles
and a few punches in the arm,
that had everything to do with happiness
and Red Bull and vodka.
She's married to my rock star boyfriend, John.
We showed up at their house
 the following morning.
We were welcomed by her daughter
in the driveway in a tank top and booty shorts
 and
her son in his flannel Christmas pj's,
playing with water and sidewalk chalk.
 
We wished we could stay the rest of the day.
 
No one parties like the Old Folks.
Well, until its time to leave
and get to the game,
 in time for the band.
 
Game Day is fun for all.
All ages.
All kinds.
 
I love the mix of people here.
 
The connections and the history
 between people is amazing.
 
I also met a new friend that has everything
in common with me,
 and knows all the same people, I know.
 
I introduced Megan to a bunch of people
 and they all shared the same story.
 
And turns out, Megan's cousins were there.
 
Wisconsin, Man. 
Small world.
 
 
Save the best for last.
Give it up for Ryan.
The host.
D's college roommate.
He's as kind, as he is successful,
 as he is handsome, as he is passionate,
 as he is enthusiastic, as he his humble.
 
He turned 40 today.
 
I liked him by D's description of him,
before I ever met him.
 
I have now known him for years.
 
He continues to wow
 and surprise me,
 with his awesomeness. 
 
 I am so grateful to be heart friends,
with this fantastic guy.
 
He could have peaked in high school,
being the star football player.
 
I am thrilled to report,
being the star football player in high school,
(as impressive as it is),
is at the bottom of his list of accomplishments,
because he has gone on,
 to do so much more good in the world.
 
He's at the top of the world right now.
 
I would follow him anywhere.

I believe in his leadership.
 
He makes stuff happen.
 
He connects people to people.
 
He supports people's journeys.
I am totally crushing on him.

 

Go get your game day on,
Friends.
 
Its worth the long and boring drive.
I'll give you the address to
The World's Greatest Tailgate Party,
if you promise to join me.


No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive