Labels

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Strong Like Bul


Friends,
I wanted to share a glimpse,
 of Shooty's party,
that you missed,
but participated,
 in from afar.
 
Trust me, its just a glimpse.
 
Most people were at the bar.
 
I was.
 
I took this picture from the bar.
 
It's a picture of the few,
 innocent souls,
 that weren't
sitting at the bar with me,
but instead,
these folks were mingling,
 and thanking,
and raffling,
 and all that good stuff,
that I am so glad somebody did. 
 
I hope it gives you a glimpse
of how important Shooty is.
 
His circle was big,
and he ruled as King.
 
Some people were there,
 with a very serious intention
 to fund raise.
 
Johnny on the spot here,
turned in more cash, 
than imaginable,
from her fundraising efforts.
 
Her parents are in sales,
so, I think she's witnessed enough
"work from home sales calls",
to understand the gig.
 
Or she's just super enthusiastic,
and persuasive and persistent,
and was willing to put herself out there,
 to help, her friend, Shooter.

 
Some girls, that I love,
 were working hard
to keep everything going.
 
Thank God for good girl friends,
 and Sister In Laws.
 
I wasn't one of them.
 
I was still at the bar.
 
Some fantastic men,
were emptying their pockets,
for Lily.
I was taking my drinks,
 with me at this point,
and leaving my bar spot,
to capture the love for you, Friends.

 
A certain mother in law of Shooty's
was just showing up.
 
Like me.
 
And showing support,
 by ordering more drinks.
 
Its takes all kinds.
Isn't she fantastic, in her own way?

We do what we can,
with what we have,
where we are at.

 
Some of you, Friends,
sent checks in the mail.
THANK YOU!
I am amazed with your generosity.
 
You heard my cry for help,
and you answered.
 
Thank you a million times over.
 
You made me so happy,
 in a time of such sadness.
 
You showed me the beautiful,
while I was feeling the brutal.
 
I am beyond sad to report,
we lost our friend Shooty.
 
His final days were spent,
I will use his words here...
"exactly what I wanted."
 
The day before he died,
he was floating (swimming?)
down a river,
 with his family,
in Mexico.
 
That moment was a miracle.
 
It was not the miracle,
I was asking for,
but it was miraculous.
 
I prayed if we would all swim down,
we would save him.
 
In some way,
together,
we did.
 
We helped him in his journey.
 
The following day he died,
 in a hospital in Mexico,
with his loved ones there.
 
I am so sorry.
I am so sad.
 
Bridget asked me
 for the Big Huge Honor,
to do his eulogy.
 
I was told,
she said that,
I was the only one,
 who could speak her words,
for her.
 
OK, then.
 I will show up and answer her call,
as best I can.
 
She asked that I interview his family and hers.
So I would include all parts of him.
 
She trusted me totally,
but was a little nervous.
 
Because his family is tight, and I am not blood.
 
So I spent time with everyone,
that would sit with me
 on a porch stoop alone,
in preparation for my speech.
 
Some couldn't come to me.
 
So I went to them.
 
I said,
"Shut up. This doesn't have to be formal. 
I am sorry for your loss. 
Just tell me, Bro,
what did you love about him?"
 
They all shared.
They all opened up.
Every single person,
I talked to.
 
They talked, they shared, they cried,
in a rare state of affairs, I listened.
 
Every story was consistent.
 
He was every body's best friend.
 
I could relate, because I know.
Because that is my story too.
 
So I did that eulogy.
 
Yes I did.
 
I channeled every bit of Shooter's happiness
and my gratitude for knowing him,
and being in this circle where he reigns as King,
and I went up to a Catholic altar,
and I spoke my words,
fully faithful that God and Shooty
 were standing with me.
 
And I am not of the religious sort.
But Catholic funerals really comfort me,
in a very odd way,
because regular Catholic mass does not.
 
When I was done,
Bridget mouthed "perfect" to me.
 
And I went back to my seat.
And I sang and I smiled and I cried my heart out.
 
Singing and smiling and sobbing.
Loudly.
 
Oh Lord,
now, I had brought attention to myself,
and everyone knew I was HBomb,
Shooter's good loving neighbor/friend/sister/
Bridget's chosen one,
and I had spoken their words for them,
and they were looking at me.
 
I kept singing and smiling and sobbing.
 
Loudly.
 
And I thanked God,
I took the attention
off of Bridget for a second.
 
I know she can't stand it.
So I want to take it all away.
 
Then we proceeded to bury him.
With a 2 mile procession,
and hundreds of our favorites friends
and friends like family,
that are Shooters people.
 
Dude, Shooter.
King.
 
These people show up.
Some in tattoos and tee shirts and sunglasses.
They are there, Man.
They made their way to a Catholic church
and a cemetery.
 
For him.
When he was fully put to rest,
The Lowe Family Circus treated ourselves,
 to a Mexican lunch.
 
In honor of our favorite Mexican,
before joining the family back at Bridget's.
 
The stories continued.
 
We had Shooter's music playing.
 
And shots of Jager going round.
 
Tears and laughter flowing.
 
Kids and soccer balls and cartwheels flying.
 
Hugs and loves and memories happening.
 
And I thought to myself
"this is exactly what I wanted."
 
Here is not the eulogy,
but might as well be.
 
Here I am, streaming live,
to Shooter during his party,
because he wanted to be  part,
but couldn't.
So I put on my social media hat,
 and streamed live
 for him all night long,
until I got to him.
 
It was the only place I wanted to be.
 
With him.
 
HBomb after drinks?
He wouldn't have had it any other way.
True love.
From now on, I just sing this song,
Phillip Phillips, Gone, Gone Gone.
with my girls in the car,
 and they sing with me,
and we sing,
Loud.
And for every person that thanked me for the eulogy,
I thank you for the honor,
and no thank you is needed.
He would do it for me.

Thanks for your Big Love, Friends,
I will do it for you!
 

 

No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive