Labels

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

20 Year High School Reunion

Friendssssssss,

20 freaking years since I graduated high school.
Are you as surprised as me?

I.can't.even.

I have never actually been to a
high school reunion before.

I was too bitchy for the 5 year.
Too pregnant for the 10 year.
Too busy for the 15 year.

I guess age has done me well.
I was thrilled to reconnect for the 20 year.

My besties Jordi and Doogie did the planning.

I did the supervising of the planning.

Basically, I just got them together
to do all the work
and gave a lot of high fives.

They planned it perfectly.

It was held during
Susie the Duck Days in Lodi.

We started by meeting friends at the parade.

Cathie served me a
Bloody Mary, from a local establishment
on the street,
while I caught up with old friends.

Friends, that are not actually old.
Just really, longtime, heart friends.

They are as young as me,
after all.

 Anyways, let's get back to the parade.

This band, you guys.

"The Lodi Soon to be Famous Band"

I am telling you.

Soon to be famous since inception.
Its gonna happen.

My friend, Heidi said
"are you really taking a picture of this band?"

"Why, YES, I am! 
They are soon to be famous,
and I knew them when..."

We all gathered at the park afterwards,
for some of
(classmate/Bestie/Julie's hubs)
Mike's brats
and games for the kids.
Here's Jordi and I,
with Susie the Duck.
 You may remember Jordi.
She was my (very dramatic) wedding singer.
 We invited her to come to Cathie's to join us,
while we got ready for our big night out.
It was just like old times,
doing each other's hair and make up,
and sharing clothes.
I haven't seen Jordi in over 10 years.
It was like no time had passed,
except she was newly pregnant.
This was a big trip for her,
as she finally met her birth mom.
When she shared the story,
I just started sobbing.
She teared up with my emotion,
and was a little surprised by my reaction.
"Jordi!  How many nights did we lay awake,
wondering about that moment?  I can't believe it happened and I am here for you to tell!"
(sob, sob, sob)
You know what that meeting affirmed for her?
That her adoptive parents,
are her REAL parents.
This, I knew a million years ago.
But still. 
Here's the Class of '94's
future generation.
I watched Lily,
and a near teenage, Hannah,
walk around this celebration,
pretending not to know me.
And chasing boys.
I am serious.
I did what any totally cool mom would do.
I walked two steps behind them,
smiling the whole way.
I was grateful to relive my preteen moments,
with new eyes,
as I watched the 12 year old
Julie (Hannah) and me, (Lily) in front of me.

My favorite person to see
was my friend Heidi.
Heidi was my first friend,
that wasn't a cousin.
We went to the same (evil) babysitter,
when we were 2 years old.
Heidi and I had a way back then,
and a way now,
of laughing ourselves out of any situation.
So I felt it appropriate,
to take a black and white
bathroom selfie with her,
since she has been making me
 pee my pants, since 1978.
She speaks fake Chinese.
Its hilarious.
Stories of nonsense that go on and on.
Somehow, although she is saying nothing,
I totally get the stories.

We had dinner and dancing at a bar on the lake.
It was a perfect night.
I vowed myself to hug
every classmate upon arrival.
They all graciously accepted my hug.
I was surprised,
that prior to the reunion,
I didn't have the feeling
like I had to lose 10 pounds,
or get my hair colored,
or think about what I was going to brag about.
It seems like this was something
you should do. 

And prepare for.
Its not.
I just showed up. 
As I am today.
As happy and sad and weird as ever.
 Being with my old friends,
was affirming that no prep was necessary.

They all have known me way too long,
and way to well
to see past any pretending anyway.

I took baths with a boy,
in my class,
 when I was a toddler.

I went to church camp with my classmates,
long before I wore make up.

They remember my first perm.

Come on.
They know me.

They have witnessed every success and failure
I have ever had.

Many classmates attended my Dad's funeral.

Many of their parents were in my Dad's class.

They watched me give Gabe's eulogy.

These are my peeps.
No prep necessary.

Life long friends, and classmates,
are the real deal.

Go Class of '94.
Seniors rule!

No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive