Friends,
After that Big Ten 10K,
and after that nap...
I started partying again.
We had our end of the season
softball gathering.
Lily's friend Caroline's
family hosted.
It was so fun!
Think picnic potluck,
bare feet,
vodka,
and water balloons!
We got to celebrate!
After some eats and drinks,
we all cozied up
in a little basement,
and watched the most
wonderful video montage
of our season.
This was especially fantastic,
since one Dad
is a professional photographer,
and the music included
all of our theme songs.
I mean seriously,
you're gonna hear me roar!
Like a Wildcat roar!
Grr! Meow! Hiss!
Lily's name was spelled wrong,
as in Lilly,
the whole season.
Despite her attempts
to correct the coaches.
Each game we would view
the batting order,
and there was Lilly.
The Coach teased and said,
he was adding extra L's
to every hit she had.
The video ended with credits
to the players.
It looked something like this:
Grace
Natalie
Katelyn
Lillllllllllllllllly
Caroline
Lydia...
After the video,
which had me
(and others)
feeling my favorite emotion
of laughing/crying.
The Coach gave each girl
a trophy and a speech.
It was so awesome.
"This one goes to the girl with more L's in her name than anyone I have ever met,
and also to the girl,
who joined us, without ever playing,
and worked hard and improved...."
Applause, applause!
I wiped my tears,
after thumbs up to Lily,
who was beaming smiles at me.
Then, we all went back outside
for more water balloons
and adult cocktails.
The Coaches Wife then told me...
The Coach,
was inspired by Lily this season,
and wanted to give her a special presentation,
when he gave her,
her trophy.
So he wrote something for her,
which inspired him,
to write
something personal
for everyone.
He has been a Coach for years.
This was something he had never done before.
Of course,
this news had me
proud of my girl.
The fact that she can
inspire others,
which has less to do with
her athletic talent,
but more importantly
for her outrageous spirit.
I was beaming in pride of her,
and the feedback about her,
and the community on the team,
that values her,
for her.
With or without,
homerun hits.
Truth be told,
I don't know if she will do softball again.
I do know,
we learned new things,
and we have made
friends for life.
Lily made a positive contribution,
to the Wildcats.
Friends,
if you are clumsy and inexperienced,
and excited and interested in trying
something new,
where you might be the worst player...
I suggest,
you follow that interest,
because you
can add value,
contribute...
either by Grandslam,
or by just by being you.
Wildcats down and ready!

No comments:
Post a Comment