Friends,
Another school year begins.
We have a 4th grader,
and a first grader.
I can't even believe it!
4th grade was one of my favorite
grade school years.
I had a remarkable teacher
and I started to learn
who I was
and what I was good at.
I was the only girl to climb to the top
of the rope in gym class.
I won a poetry contest.
I read "Where the Red Fern Grows",
and cried,
solidifying myself,
as a life long reader.
I attended my first dance.
A Sadie Hawkins dance.
Gabe asked me to be his partner,
before I had a chance to ask him,
which kinda takes the whole
"Sadie Hawkins" part out of it.
No worries,
I had the most beautiful date in the room
and we square danced our tails off.
I can't wait to see what 4th grade
holds for Lily.
My first grader.
She finally lost some teeth.
Her smile reminds me
every day
that she is growing up,
and no longer a baby.
Charlotte started a new school.
She was very brave.
We both shed one tear as
she reluctantly let go of my hand,
and followed her class into the building.
She reported back,
after school that she had
"no tears"
once she got inside.
I said, I had "one tear",
when we said good bye,
and then "no tears" too.
I was lying.
I applaud her courage.
I was tearful and anxious
all day long.
Don't get me wrong,
I am thrilled to have the girls
back in school and on schedule.
I am thrilled to have
Fridays to myself again.
I punch my fist in the air
and yelp out a "whoohoo!"
about back to school.
Its just the first day
of my baby in first grade
in a brand new school
gets me a little emotional.
I have to trust
that the staff and the students
will watch over her with
love and kindness.
I have to trust,
that I have given her
the tools, she needs,
to navigate her day without me.
Tears, Friends!
That kinda thing brings me to tears.



No comments:
Post a Comment