Labels

Friday, August 12, 2016

Work, work, work, work!

Friends,
This is my new friend Missy!
 
Isn't she so cute?
Yes, I know,
 
She's a Grandma by marriage.
GlamMa!
 
She's super compassionate.
Fundraises and runs marathons to raise money for water in Africa.
 
She goes to yoga with me
and has wine with me
and takes cooking classes with me
and comes to my house to sit on my couch
and laughs at my kids.
 
She's also a vendor of my company,
so we go out to events together and call it
"networking".
 
 I was introduced to Missy,
by Alex (on the left).
 
I hired Alex in my previous company,
and then on the day he started,
I told him,
sorry, never mind, I switched roles,
so I am not actually your boss.
 
But welcome!
 
You and I both know that you take a job because you like the person you will report to.
 
That sucked for him.
 
I did the exact same thing to someone else named Danielle.
 
Danielle and Alex have become best friends,
and they credit me for the introduction.
 
We have all since left that previous company.
 
I guess Alex owed me a best friend.
 
Alex and Missy worked together in Kansas City.
 
He suggested we meet.
 
We live so close and hit it off so fast.
 
What a fun story of networking!
 
 So being that we are all in sales,
we go out together and network with each other.
 
So nice (and delicious) to have sales peer support.
 Some weeks my job is nonstop fun.
 
Here I am at a rooftop Cubs game,
after a work conference.
 Not a bad Tuesday afternoon at the "office"
 I had fun getting to know
my accounting manager, Janet.
 
Internal relationships are super important,
in any job.

I might start submitting my expenses in a more timely fashion.

I heard you, Janet!
Geez Louise, accountants are so into details!

 
Monthly, I attend a Chicago Innovation Award event. Chicago Innovation Awards is an organization that my company sponsors.
 
It can be a challenge to arrange,
but I love nights out in the city
with other professionals.
 
I post or get tagged in posts of some of these things on social media.
I am in sales and I want to spread the good word about my company
and the good work we do.
 
So when I run into people they always say,
"how are you? you have the best job!
I saw on Facebook..." yada yada yada.
 
Yes, I do.
Its true.
But its only part of the story.
 
I do not post pictures of me in my pajama's getting rejected, which is also my job.
 
Or dealing with difficult client situations.
 
Or losing a heartbreaking deal in the final hour.
 
One time I was at a neighborhood festival
and Bridget's brother ran into me and said
"hey, how are you? You have the best job!"
 
and then my friend Joni overheard him and said
 
"yes, I forgot to congratulate you on your award!"
 
When I finally figured out what they were talking about it was this picture
 that was posted with me in it.
I laughed my ass off.
 
People think I won an award for Women in Innovation, and this is me with my award.
 
I had to tell them,
no that is not me with an award,
that is me with a wine glass,
standing next to strangers,
also holding wine glasses,
at an event celebrating women in innovation.
 
 
LOL!
 
Need any social media tips about how to make the world think you are more fabulous and accomplished than you knew?
 
 
 
Call me.
 
Maybe I should go into marketing?
 
Cheers fellow wine glass holders!
 
We're pretty awesome, right?
 
Applause, applause!
 
 

No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive