Labels

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Just Do it...with a twist!

Lily has been lossing her front tooth for quite some time now. 
It has been hanging by a few strings. 
Its all good and fine to let things happen in their own time. 
But last Saturday it started to bleed as she was drinking from her water bottle at her soccer game. 
And, in all honesty, I can't stand the dangling tooth. 
On Wednesday, I had a dentist appointment ,so I asked the dentist her opinion on when/if to pull a tooth. 

She wholeheartedly said "Yes, do it.  Do it when its hanging.  Do it just if it annoys you.  Do it when its getting in the way of their activities, or they just can't stop playing with it with their tongue.  Just do it!  ...and the secret is to twist."
So I came home that evening from work, and Lily was so excited to see me and said she was ready, and who I am not to follow doctor recommended advice?
So I just did it...with a twist.

A day earlier I took her picture, just in case it happened while she was at school and I was at work.


I have a tooth fairy complex.  I think I am not a good enough tooth fairy.  Maybe I should leave glitter footprints or something really special.  Or I should buy a special pillow or something to mark this event. 
But it always seems to come up without warning, even when we knew for weeks it was coming.
"oh crap.  I pulled it.  D, do you have any cash?  Do we have any glitter left? Our printer is broke, how will I download footprints or do an awesome project right now at 9 pm?  Help!"
(D already has $5 in his hand and is fully prepared for my unpreparedness as he rolls his eyes with a smile, as I start to sweat and dream up what really good tooth fairies would do)

In my defense, Lily thinks its gross to put her tooth under the pillow.
So the best I can do is throw the tooth away, never to be found again, and leave a note and whatever cash we can come up with on the bathroom mirror.
And go to bed feeling like a tooth fairy failure, thinking I might do better next time.
Again.
 You know what makes me feel like a success? 
Lily's enthusiasm and excitement the next morning when she reports the tooth fairy came!  And just like she saw Santa's shadow one night, she has heard the tooth fairy. 
And she just knows the tooth fairy wears her hair in a bun on the top of her head and it glitters gold (because neighbor Marcy told her so). 
That means to me, I am a fine tooth fairy and the mission is accomplished.
We all the love the new smile.
How could you not?
This funny picture has had me on a high for days.
Precious 6 year old Lily.
And now to quote that movie, The Help.
"you is kind.  you is smart.  you is important!"

Can you imagine the thrill of going to school being one of few that have lost a tooth this year?
VIP status till the next one falls out!

No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive