I was gone for 6 days at my annual work convention. This year it was in Salt Lake City and I forgot my camera! I had little to no expectations for my time there. I joked before I was going, that Salt Lake City would suck. I was pleasantly surprised that Salt Lake City does not suck at all. It is a gorgeous city surrounded by mountains. I walked the main street and was delighted with the characters I saw. Outdoor cafes, bars, and historical sites. Skateboarders, construction folk, church goers, and street artists, and the good ole hippie smell of patchouli in the air. A little bit of everyone and everything. The people were so friendly. The weather was 80 and sunny. The food was delicious. The hotel was luxury. Luxury, like the only 5 diamond hotel in the city and it was mine all mine. A huge king suite all for me!
I can't share everything, so let me share my favorite day.
One morning I woke up in that big comfy bed that someone had turned down for me the night before. "Turned down" meaning played soft music and left slippers,a robe, gourmet chocolate and tomorrow's weather for me.
I digress. I woke up and didn't have to be anywhere until noon. I decided my first order of business would be to order a proschuitto and roasted red pepper omelette to eat in my room. Up came the omelette with my coffee in its fancy silver carafe. And a beautiful peach rose in a little bud vase. And 3 flavors of jam in their teeny tiny little jars. I felt like a princess. Like, Fancy Nancy for real! For some reason this sort of specialness and joy from these things makes me want to remind you and I, that I am 35 years old!
I just giggled. I could get used to this. So let the day continue. Why get out of bed now? I NEVER get to do this. I ordered the movie The Help to watch on TV (no longer in theaters, not yet on video. I could not resist. I am a princess afterall).
And there I was, in my big fluffy bed, sipping my gourmet coffee and laughing and crying to a favorite book of mine made into a movie. (I have read reviews about the movie and critics think it is about many things, but to me it is about motherhood, friendship and courage = my favorite of all themes)
Then I went to the fitness center and did my yoga routine. Followed by meditation time in the sauna.
I helped myself to the thick washclothes sitting in an ice bath on my way out.
Then I helped myself to the steamy shower and used as much of the delicious smelling Honey Shampoo, Conditioner and Body Wash, as I possibly could.
I dressed, poured myself a glass of lemon water, and grabbed an apple on my way out.
I really did have a day of work ahead of me.
And I got to thinking this was a perfect way to spend the morning. I could do this everyday!
But that was Sunday.
I came home on Wednesday.
By Tuesday, I was seeking out other people's children.
Begging them to snuggle with me in the convention hall, at the restaurant, on the street.
Calling my co workers, wondering if they needed help brushing their teeth and getting their jammies on.
I tease, but really.
The break was divine as it always is. A diversion from the ordinary and a little time and space to think about me. Only me.
I welcome this every year.
And every year I come to the same place. I can't wait to get home.
My life is grand, mostly, because of who I have in it.
As great as it was to be alone on this adventure, I wondered what fun it would be if HE was with me.
And with a little help from the outlaws the house and family were all good upon my return.
Followed by a Grandparents Day that was a huge success.
And an overnight stay for Grandma and Grandpa so HE and I could attend an adults only wedding.
Life on the road was good, but life is better when you have someone to share it with.

No comments:
Post a Comment