Lily became a 7 year old under my watch.
She did it on her own will without any consideration for me.
She went ahead and decided to go on and
to grow up!
She did not consult me in this matter.
And let's be honest, I can't even be mad at her.
She is growing into this wonderfully amazing person.
She is smarter and more creative with each passing day.
Her strength and imagination grows right along with her size.
I love her each day, a bit more than the day before.
For the first year ever, I did not cry on her birthday.
I did not wish for her to stay a baby.
I did not agonize over the day she was born, and instead remembered it with smile and gracefully moved on to her present and future.
(I think, in part, because I know many parents don't get the chance to see their kids grow up and I was feeling very grateful for each extra day I get to spend with her)
I was just excited to celebrate and play with her again!
First graders are busy with homework and school and friends.
I was thrilled she wanted to go to a waterpark, as usual, to celebrate with her family.
Birthday parties are also a big deal to first graders and we have been left out of some.
We were not going to leave anyone out of ours.
So I was thrilled to leave everyone out and get away as a family instead.
Thursday, in preparation, the girls had a spa night in my bathtub with candles, fancy soap, and pedicures from Mom.
Friday we picked Lily up an hour early from school. The class sang her Happy Birthday and said "hope you have a Happy Birthday" Lily responded "Thank you! I will...in PARADISE!"
Then the Lowe Family Circus headed to paradise, aka, Great Wolf Waterpark.
I forced us to a family pic before heading down to the waterpark.
(cheeseball)
Then the Lowe Family Circus headed to paradise, aka, Great Wolf Waterpark.
I forced us to a family pic before heading down to the waterpark.
(cheeseball)
We had to check out tomorrow's breakfast accommodations on the way.
To my delight, Great Wolf "proudly serves Starbucks coffee".
And that was pretty much the end of my pictures of Lily on her birthday eve, despite my heroic attempts.
The girl moves so fast.
Great Wolf was a perfect choice this year with lots of age appropriate activities for both girls.
Charlotte, to be expected, took more caution.
We spent the most time, as a family in the wave pool.
Darin and I laughed that we were on vacation with one teenager and one retiree.
I will let you guess who's who.
At the end of the night we joined a Beach Party.
Limbo, BINGO, and hula hoop contest.
Lily WON the hula hoop contest, here she is with her prize.
Wolf ears.
This girl outlasted everyone.
She had her eye on the prize.
She was the youngest girl to enter (minus Charlotte)
She beamed with pride!
We enjoyed sharing a red velvet cupcake and listening to story hour before bed.
And naturally, some jumping on the bed madness, before actually settling down.
The next morning Lily was so excited she couldn't stand it.
It was her birthday afterall!
But she woke far too early for anyone's preference so I took the girls for muffins and coffee and let Darin sleep.
The waterpark would open just a few HOURS later.
When I finally allowed us back in the room, Lily was on a mission to open her gifts. Charlotte helped me wrap and only shared one of the secrets with Lily.
And yes we did, get Lily an iCarly microphone.
And as soon as the obnoxious noise came out of the box I started questioning my sanity and decision making skills.
When I was shopping, I wanted to make Lily happy.
When she starting using it, I wanted to make Lily quiet.
And now, have even less power over this matter.
We put the microphone down and headed toward the waterpark that was about to open.
Someone asked us to take their picture and then offered to return the favor.
Do we look like we just woke up?
Let me confirm.
We just woke up.
Do we look like we just woke up?
Let me confirm.
We just woke up.
You know, it takes me some time and a fruity drink or two before I warm up to the waterpark experience, so I started by playing photographer to our slowest moving member.
This one below, was so busy celebrating herself...
(allow me to quote Sheryl Crowe)
(allow me to quote Sheryl Crowe)
"I wanna tell everyone, I'm having fun!
I'm gonna soak up the sun
While it's still free"
While it's still free"
And then, like magic, by mid day, our friendly cousins arrived.
And my 7 year old teenager was off in the Great Wolf without me.
Until, I joined them in the hot tub for a game of "we are naming people!"
And I sat with these kids until I was pruned laughing my heart out as "Clementine, Boredy, Puffy, Hairy, Big Swimsuit and more" passed us.
These kids are so much fun and so clever!
And I felt like I was in a hot tub with very best friends of my own age being with them.
They remind me of...well you can imagine who.
Moments later their moms (one we named Grouchy) hopped in with us and got in on our silly game.
Lily and Bailey have something in common, and it reminds me of this quote:
"all those that wander, are not lost."
Back to the condo for pizza, cupcakes, gifts and
"Happy Birthday, Dear Lily!"
"Happy Birthday, Dear Lily!"
The next morning Darin took the girls to the gameroom and I headed to the outlet malls for a quick sprint around and, as always, a handful of fabulousness!
We met G and G Lowe for a pizza buffet lunch on our way home.
Lily requested "no birthday song", and we all respected her wishes.
She is getting a little old for that, right? How embarassing.
She is getting a little old for that, right? How embarassing.
A few hundred game tickets later, and some cheap prizes we were back for gifts.
G and G Lowe are Awesome Gifters.
I think I have mentioned this before.
Always thoughtful and dedicated in their search.
Not to mention super generous.
And we walked into the house there was a tablefull of gifts.
Even some for Charlotte, "for being the birthday girl's sister"
(you see what I mean when I say thoughtful and generous).
(you see what I mean when I say thoughtful and generous).
Charlotte is as happy as a clam in this picture, you just don't see it because she needs a nap and has a sucker in her mouth.
Truth be told, our visit was short lived because all of us needed a nap after our fun filled weekend.
Happy 7th Birthday Lily!
We all love to celebrate you!
Your enthusiasm is admirable and contagious.
And as your Mom,
I can see now,
as you go about in the world,
bringing me pride with every move,
you have to grow up.
You were meant to grow up.
You rock just a little bit more with every year lived.
Lily shares the same birthday weekend as my friend Gabe, that passed tragically last summer.
So, this year, I have different thoughts about life and living and aging, as I have had in the past.
And this year, I am not begging to go back in time with Lily.
Instead, treasuring every birthday, because it marks another year of life and growth and togetherness.
The day Lily was born, and I was gifted the blessed opportunity to mother her, was the luckiest day of my life.

No comments:
Post a Comment