I have treasured the mild winter that has made life so much easier on us.
That being said, I have a new love, something I hated as a kid.
Its shoveling.
For our few snow falls, I have taken it upon myself to go out and shovel under the night sky.
Alone.
The back and forth of the shovel, the crisp air, and the silence is pure meditation heaven to me.
When the snow is falling, I will admit, I have shoveled the driveway twice in a row, just to delay going in.
The other night I was in a funk and there was no more shoveling to be done and I was not ready to brave the storm inside just yet.
So I headed out for a neighborhood stroll with my camera.
As irritating as snow and a long winter, and slush and ice and cold can be. I am happy to have had just a taste this year.
There is something in the stillness of winter that is more sacred to me than any other time of year.
And it feels wild to be taking walks around the block in the dark, on unplowed streets.
Winter is best as a short term guest that does not overstay her welcome.
Do you agree?

No comments:
Post a Comment