Labels

Monday, June 4, 2012

First Grade Ends

Today was the last day of First Grade for Lily.
It was a half day and Darin stayed home to celebrate with her.
(aka go to the pool together, ride bikes and make steak on the grill)
I was lucky enough to go on the
Class Field Trip and join in on the End of the Year Party last week.

Lily has grown this year in so many ways.

I will share a snippet of what she can do now that she could not do a year ago :

jump rope effortlessly, while singing silly songs
and impressing others
read chapter books with expression silently to herself
hula hoop from her neck down and back up
 give to others
(including children in Guatamala)
Irish Dance
assert herself appropriately, when necessary
complete 50 math problems correctly in 3 minutes
ride a big bike, no training wheels
show self control
make new friends
spell big words, like shampoo
get ready for school in the morning with no assistance
write legibly
fall in love with her teacher.

Here is her self portrait at 7 years old.
Pretty darn good, if you ask me.


I am so proud of Lily.
My girl is growing into herself.
She is making good choices, out in the world, without me.

The whole year was a big deal.
For our family, it was moments of tension
trying to get it all done and keep
(the free spirit, unfocused, and lovable)
Lily on track.
So, I am also going to put it out there and
say I am proud of our family too.
Lily's success is our success.
And now that it is over, I can say
"she did it!"
and then secretly to you 3 readers
I am going to say...
"Darin, Charlotte, and I made it too!"
There were heated evenings with not enough time
and spelling tests to be had.
Monday mornings coming too fast with no groceries for lunches.
A juggle of schedules to get me volunteering in the classroom, Charlotte cared for, and someone to meet Lily at the bus stop.
And all the business you Reader's already know about this.

So...summer has just arrived.
I am thrilled to not make lunches, do homework,
or have schedules for the next few months
until we start up again.

This weekend is Dance Recital.
Here's a preview from class the other night
when the costumes came in.
"Viva Las Vegas"


Eat it up.
No videos allowed at recital.

No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive