Labels

Friday, June 8, 2012

Picture Day

Lily's dance recital is this weekend.
She had picture night last night.
We do not compare to many of the other kids in her class who are competitive dancers.
We did not get hair extension or fake lashes
or glitter on our eyes or anything  like that.
I just dug into my dirty old make up bag
and did to her what I do to me.
And apologized that
I have no idea what I am doing.
And prayed she would not look like a drag queen.

Lily is a very toned down version of the performers we saw.
And yet, she looks so made up to me.

How do you feel about this?
I am not sure how I feel.
On one hand she looks too grown up at the age of 7 and I want to wash her make up off immediately.
I am not Miss America, and I can't believe my daughter looks like she could have a sash over her shoulder, teetering on high heels in her swimsuit walking across the stage, waving.

I want to see her innocent freckles as the only adornment on her sweet face.

On the other hand, I think she looks so pretty
When I looked at her, she took breath away.
I could see a glimpse of her in the future. 
And that was cool, because I spend all my time remembering her as a baby, I have never thought about how she will look as a grown up.
 This is how she might look
when and if mascara becomes a daily routine.

I think she's beautiful.
(I can not believe she came from Darin and me)
I try to compliment her on the things she can control, like being kind, strong, smart.
But today, I really just had to gush
over how fancy she looks.
You could see how good she felt too.
She is nervous to be onstage,
but I know her confidence with shine through.
Lily has worked hard at her routine and she is brave to get onstage. 
I am proud of her!
"Viva Las Vegas" is her song.
Stayed tuned...




No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive