After much preparation...
Dance recital day came!!!
Lily's Fan Club arrived early for
Chicago Style Pizza before Showtime.
Lily was thrilled to get into her costume.
And wear make up.
and be in the recital next year.
(yea!)
Lily's been teaching Ceci everything she knows,
so she might have a leg up on the game.
Literally, since she practices the "leg wrap" daily.
She's clearly got the "Fierce Face" down.
Lily reports she wants to do ballet and jazz and tap and hip hop and EVERYTHING next year.
(I notified her we might have to narrow this down a bit)
This is, in many ways, good news for The Fan Club, as there will be more personal entertainment
from the very long 4 hour show next year.

from the very long 4 hour show next year.

Our dance company is a growing business.
The recital comes with a few hiccups.
These are easily forgiveable to me.
Because, we are in presence
of true talent.
of true talent.
Much of the time during the recital,
I had the feeling of being at a
grand theater performance.
The dancers, the lights, the costumes,
Our dance studio is edgy.
Hip.
AMAZING talent,
taught by AMAZING teachers,
(like Miss Kelly, owner and teacher below).
taught by AMAZING teachers,
(like Miss Kelly, owner and teacher below).
Each dance showcases
each dancer's greatest talent.
Tumblers, actors, and singers included.
Tumblers, actors, and singers included.
We are not in the "Fierce" competitive team, but we consider joining next year.
I love everything dance-y.
My mom brought with her,
a video of my dance recitals and Lily and I laughed at how
simple the routines were.
(she can reenact them perfectly, upon first viewing)
She's already beyond my wildest dreams.
Minutes before her showtime, she was nervous.
Her nerves played out by being aggitated with me for all my Mom affirmations about how wonderful and brave she is.
She does not spend as much time as her peers,
at the studio.
We do not have the right make up.
We borrowed lip glitter in the past.
I bought regular glitter this year, for a "what if?scenario" and we had no one to borrow from.
Well guess what?
We had no one to borrow from.
Lily started to freak.
I told her not to worry, and put my sticky lip gloss on her and then secretly stuck my finger in regular crafter's glitter and rubbed it over her lips.
She beamed at me, with her knowing eyes.
Knowing, we can make do.
She took one look in the mirror,
and smiled with satisfaction.
I know she then forgave me for all those stupid Mom affirmations.
And I let her be in her nerves
without me, adding to them.
She rocked her routine!
Loved the lime light!
Ran to me when it was over
(and was so proud she forgot to be embarassed),
with a big hug, smile and
shout whisper in my ear
"I did it, Mom!"
That moment makes it all worth it.
My girl has found something she loves to do
and is good at.
And I have been pushing it away.
I am afraid Lily may be living out dreams
I had for myself.
I am hesistant to get so involved in one activity when there is so much to explore.
I try to skip class, because I don't like sitting there in the Mama Drama.
Lily has never taken me up on the offer to skip.
She is dedicated.
So, I am going to get over myself.
So what if its my dream come true?
It isn't even about me.
Its about supporting Lily.
And there is nowhere I would rather be,
than sitting and watching her perform with all the creative talent, spirit, and energy she has.
Watching her play out on a stage,
the confidence, drama, and pride that she owns.
What else can I do?
But...
BRAVO LILY, BRAVO!!!!
She is leading this.
I will follow.
And bring glitter.
And stupid Mom affirmations.
And enjoy the show.







No comments:
Post a Comment