Labels

Monday, July 16, 2012

Field Museum

We slept long and comfortably.
Then we packed up.
Can you imagine the cuteness these two brought
to the streets as we headed to our parking deck?

 We landed at the Field Museum.
 What would a staycation be without a little history and academics?
This was Darin's choice on The List.
(Surprised?  No?)
 At first, I feared it might be a little b-o-r-i-n-g.
Then I got my inner nerd on.
 So did these two.
 We walked like an Egyptian.
 RIP to this soul.
Mummy.  For realz.
Ah-mazing.
 Lily's favorite,
Dinosaurs.
Real bones.
Proof.
Hard to believe, but true.
This exhibit even got me to thinking about
The Land Before Time,
minus the cartoon version that I loved,
and watched with Jake when he was little.
 Ceci's favorite,
evolution.
Monkey's.
Human's.
Wild.
Now Lily is wondering where it all came from,
and "who made God?"
And her questions are too smart for me.
I don't have the answers.
I tell her different people believe different things.
If you have the answers, please send to me,
so I can share and know.

 We traveled back in time to all corners of the world in a day.
We were in Asia, Pacific Islands,
Africa, and more.
We saw the biggest gemstones ever.
And picked out our birthstones.
(and came home to Jake who actually knew the correct answers for all of us and not my good guesses)

We were mostly moved (saddened)
by a slavery exhibit.
Lily showed empathy,
 like I have never seen before.
She didn't understand why.
I could only admit,
I also don't really understand why.
"But Mom, it went on for so long and it wasn't even that long ago."

That statement was worth the price of admission.
If The Field Museum is also on your list
or if you are a secret nerd,
a lover of history,
or a person with questions.
If you want to know what came before you.
What happens in places outside your world.
Go.
Be patient.
Wander.
Let the moment back in time find you.
It will.
If you open to it.


No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive