Labels

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Art of Being Still

Hi Friends!
I am excited to share something with you today!
Something you already know,
but its a new lesson for me.
 
Here it goes...
 
Let me clear my throat so I can share the profound...
Ahem...its wonderful to be still.
 
I am so grateful for this lesson.
 

 I have never been a
stop and smell the roses kind of person.
I have always been a
life is a race and
whoever gets the most done, the fastest wins.
I learned I was missing some important things
in my race to nowhere.
 
I am a fidgeting, busy, toe tapping, chattering, get up and go, rearrange, move about, get distracted, start on something, change it, anxious, high energy, worry, easily bored, loud,
and nervous kind of person.
 
My personal success is judged by
how much I can get done. 
How many things I can do at once. 
And how fast I can do it.
 I value how amazing my speed and production is.
 
What this broken leg has gifted me with is a different way to go about things.
 
A reason to sit still.
A reason to ask for help.
A reason to let go of things
that don't really matter.
 
And I am learning and growing and healing,
by not doing a thing.
By just simply being instead.
 
It is so wonderful.
I am alive in my senses.
Totally in the moments.
 
I have been present to massage Charlotte's sweet little feet while we watch tv at night.
I have heard the church bells in the distance all day long from my spot on the couch.
I have tasted each bite of my food,
knowing, I am unable to get up to get more,
 and if I pay attention there is enough on my plate in front of me to fill me.
 
I am full now.
Not because I have more of anything.
But, because I have less.
Less distraction, and more attention.
 
Everything about being still is
Meditative, and that is Medicine
and my leg is healing up quickly, as you hoped.
 
 
If I can share a lesson with you,
I would suggest you sit still for a minute.
In the midst of your chaos.
Allow yourself to just be.
At first you may be fidgety, like me.
Its ok. 
Give it time.
Given enough time,
being still
you will realize
you have everything you need.
I feel content,
for maybe the first time ever.
 


No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive