Labels

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Extra ORDINARY

Happy Mother's Day Friends that are Moms,
 and Friends that have Moms!
 
My Mom came to my rescue this week.
 
D was out of town for a work trip.
 
My Mom flew in and took care of us.
 
She watched the girls
and did laundry
 and set up a tent
(a totally normal Colorado Nanna thing to do)
and remembered Charlotte's snack day,
when I forgot.
 
She took the girls shopping
 for Charlotte's birthday gifts,
which Lily has been begging me to do for months,
and I haven't found the time to make happen.
 
My Mom gave the girls Big Love,
and she gave me a chance to breathe. deep.
 
I wish I had a picture, but I don't.
 
I don't have one picture of her time with us.
 
Because, nothing about it was rare,
or special occasion-ish.
 
My Mom coming to my rescue
is a very normal affair.
 
My Mom has been saving me,
since the day I was born.
 
There are no pictures my
Extraordinary Mom doing everyday things.
 
This week, I didn't take pictures of her
folding my laundry, heating up leftovers,
packing lunches, carpooling, waiting patiently,
or getting a comb through
the mass of curls atop my babies heads.
 
But let me tell you,
if there was a picture,
it would be an awarding winning photo.
 
So...
you will have to hold a picture in your mind's eye, of my Mom rocking, an infant me,
 to sleep and singing me a very personal lullabye.
 
Because that is what she still does for me,
only now she rocks me by stopping at the store
to get toliet paper, because we have run out.
 
My lullabye sounds less like a baby song,
and more like a constant affirmation,
 no matter how down I feel,
that I am doing ok, amazing actually.
 
I can't help but think about Mothers
and Fathers, at the same time.
 
Maybe I am getting to the
"anger stage of grief",
 regarding my Dad.
 
He missed out on the extraordinary
everyday of my childhood.
 
He showed up for the big events,
and we took pictures.
 
Being a mother myself, I don't totally blame him.
 
There are many parts
I can't stand about the parenting job.
 
I hate playing referee when the girls are fighting.
I hate having a messy house.
I would rather not watch Nick Jr.
Every electronic I have ever bought, is broken.
Cleaning up puke is not my favorite thing.
I like to sleep.  A lot.
 
You know what?
I do these things gladly,
because in return I get the greatest gift.
I get to be a first hand witness to the most amazing people I have ever met.
I get to love bigger and better than even possible.
I get to receive a love so precious,
 it heals the wounds of my past.
 
So yes, my Dad missed out.
And he is missing out now.
And I am a little mad about that.
 
I don't hold grudges.
This too shall pass.
And really, its hard to be too angry for too long,
when I have been gifted
with a circle of awesome people that support me.
More than angry,
I am grateful.
Amen.
Or as Native Americans and I prefer,
Aho.
And mostly,
Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day sis! I hope you had a great time with your mom and the girls and Darin.

My Blog List

Blog Archive