Labels

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Carolina Blue

Friends,
Lily took a park district volleyball class.
 
She liked it so much,
we signed her up for the Big League,
so she could continue her new found hobby.
 
Being from Lodi,
I don't know what Big League means.
 
We quickly found out.
 
Her and friend Kylie
practiced once or twice
with a team near our home.
 
Then for their first game,
we went to the largest athletic facility
 in the entire universe,
and introduced ourselves to the coaches,
received and dressed in our uniforms,
and went to the court to play.
 
With a team that we had never met.
 
In a place we had never been.
 
And we sucked.
 
Those fluorescent lights just glaring,
on scared stiff Lily and Kylie.
 
They were on some sort of Olympic team.
And they didn't even know the rules of the game.
 
Clumsy and awful and embarrassed,
as we all were to be here,
in this ginormous warehouse of a fitness facility.
 
I was shaking and crying and praying on the sidelines.
I wish I had brought my rosary.
 
Just praying nothing would bring attention to them.
Hoping they would never have to serve
and the ball would never come near them.
 
They were literally both shaking in fear.
 
I was honestly crying, giving a super fake smile
and thumbs up sign when Lily glanced my way.
 
Knowing she would know I was crying,
and really felt like crying herself.
 
She didn't.
 
She loved it.
 
She is so much braver than me.
 
So Kylie's mom Joni and I,
went back to those coaches and said,
if this is our team we need to practice with you.
 
It doesn't do our girls good to practice with one team
and actually play with another.
 
The coaches agreed,
and welcomed us to their practice.
 
Lucky for me,
I have a fantastic nanny to take them.
(First game. Fake smiles on our girls.  Scared stiff.)
 Flash forward to the end of the season.
 
Lily's team, Carolina Blue
WON the league championship,
and her and Kylie were key contributors
to the team.
 
You must know me well enough,
to know that I don't care so much
about winning titles or raising athletes.
 
But I do care very much about
teaching confidence, humility, and hard work.

I don't think Darin or I ever won a Championship in anything.
So this is a huge accomplishment for Team Lowe Family Circus!

The girls first beat a team of boys,
and then beat a team of 5th graders
(they are 2nd and 3rd graders)
for the title. 
 
It was very nerve wrecking exciting!
 
In one game Caroline Blue was down and Lily was up to serve.
I held my breath.
 
She served 5 unreturnable serves and won the game!
 
Can you imagine my relief pride?!
 
So super awesome.
I love being Lily's fan and cheerleader.
 
Carolina Blue or Bust, Friends!


No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive