Friends,
Today I took Lily to meet her teacher
for next year.
for next year.
She was bummed to learned
that none of her besties were in her class.
that none of her besties were in her class.
However, on our way to the classroom,
When we got to the classroom,
Lily was feeling a little salty,
and the teacher was busy introducing herself
to a boy that has been in Lily's classes before,
who Lily feels marginal about.
So we waited patiently,
eavesdropping on that conversation,
while we awkwardly waited for our turn.
When it was our turn,
Lily put out her hand introduced herself.
"Hi, I'm Lily Lowe
and I am going to be in your class this year.
Its nice to meet you."
"Hi, I'm Lily Lowe
and I am going to be in your class this year.
Its nice to meet you."
The teacher asked some questions about her summer and made a comment about how she could tell Lily was a fashionista.
I stood on the sidelines and witnessed (only)
for the first time ever.
for the first time ever.
I didn't watch the teacher
as much as I watched Lily,
as much as I watched Lily,
who barely even looked at me,
for approval,
as she held her own conversation.
for approval,
as she held her own conversation.
For the first time,
I wasn't trying to impress the teacher,
I wasn't trying to impress the teacher,
letting her or him know how I was onboard,
on the team of Lily's learning.
Or that I can be counted on for classroom parties,
or donating paper goods or glue sticks.
Nope,
this wasn't about me,
this was about Lily,
and instead of evaluating how much the teacher may or already may not like us,
upon first sighting,
I felt like the teacher was the lucky one,
because she got my very own Lily Lowe,
in her classroom,
and that alone will make for a great year.
Lily is awesome and amazing
and I love her so much.
D and I, are her parents and guides,
but so much of who is she is and what she does and how she responds to situations,
is not us, its her.
On the ride home Lily and I talked
about everything.
I told her she had some cool girls in her class and it would be a nice opportunity
to make new friends.
to make new friends.
She agreed.
I reminded her about what was the very most important thing this year,
and she smiled and rolled her eyes and repeated my annual back to school talk to me,
it goes like this:
"I don't care so much about your grades, as your effort in doing your best, but even more important than grades, is kindness. So when you see someone in need of some help or no one to play with, that is your calling and you answer that call,
by introducing yourself and including them.
Even when, and especially when they are weird and strange. Do it anyway."
She's good to go, People.
She actually added her own flair to my speech,
improving upon my preach.
For the record,
I was a mean girl to my own best friend Cathie,
in 6th grade, and perhaps others too?
So Lily is moving the needle,
and she makes me proud.

No comments:
Post a Comment