Friends,
I'm leaving you in suspense about
Rocky Herwig Lowe, the dog.
Such a mystery!
After Papa worked his tail off here,
he treated himself to his annual
EAA Airventure airplane show in Oshkosh.
He may have wanted reprieve
from his working vacay at our house?
But like good children,
and grandchildren,
we were having none of that.
And crashed his party.
We got the invite and showed up.
Papa was prepared with hats for the girls.
He was not exactly prepared for
little girl nonsense
on his annual solo man trip.
Sorry, Papa.
We arrived.
Papa likes his camping stuff nice and organized.
He tried to tell the girls, some basic rules,
about his event.
That lasted about a minute,
until I reminded him,
we were invited,
and it wasn't going to look like his solo trip.
He invited these two, little, excited beings,
that are not slow, or careful,
or perfect or appropriate in any way.
They will make a mess here,
and it will be a beautiful memory.
He laughed and agreed.
We were good to go.
So we barged in
and decorated his tent
with our pink stuff,
filling all the tent pockets with girl stuff,
and set up our beds
including Charlotte's Holly Hobbie pillow,
a gift saved from my childhood bedding.
Lily pretty much undid everything he did, while "redecorating" Papa's practical set up.
And somehow water got spilled in the tent
along the way
and none of us know how this happened?
We ended up blaming no one.
Maybe Papa, if we had to choose.
LOL!
I have to be honest,
I am not a big fan of planes.
But I am a huge fan of camping,
even if its fake camping
in a field and not a forest,
with my family.
I am a fan of sisterhood.
Lily and Charlotte.
Me and Sue.
And the growing up together and memories,
this kind of relationship creates.
Sharing parents,
nuclear, or not.
Sisterhood.
I am a fan of my parents' influence,
on my kids.
I swear, my parents,
are the nicest people,
with the best values.
Not fancy city people,
just good people,
with all the right values.
They teach kindness and simplicity.
I want more of them in all of our lives.
As far as planes go,
the Saturday night show,
with fireworks and lights streaming
out of planes
to inspirational music,
and camp chairs and new friends,
and glow sticks,
well...in that case,
I am a fan of planes.
I was moved to happy tears
as Papa and I shared a thumbs up.
He was sitting a few seats away from me and
holding my girls on his lap.
The girls were singing, dancing,
watching Papa's favorite thing, with him,
I was sitting with Sue,
loving our old time music and memories,
as I held my mom's hand on the other side.
I might be bold and say,
this could have been Papa's
most imperfect,
perfect EAA show to date.
We learned history at the Air show,
American History,
Military History,
and Lensmire/Gauthier History,
and that sort of thing,
has us signed up for next year.
If Papa will allow us to crash his vacation again.
Till next year, Friends!
Fly High!








No comments:
Post a Comment