Labels

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Dance Recital

Friends,
The busiest month of our lives,
is May.
 
And December.
But also May.
 
The end of the school year,
has us frazzled.
 
Its our last attempt at making healthy lunches.
One last push for super grades.
Volunteer requests show up in every in box, everywhere
for everything.
 
I know, I know, just say NO.
But sometimes I want to say YES too,
so I do.
 
And don't even get me started on laundry.
Its part clean and part dirty
and part folded,
and half put away,
and half stored away,
and then we need long sleeved pants
 and shirts again.
 
Ok, maybe not long sleeved pants,
but you get the idea.
 
I don't know where I am, in May.
 
I hope we need long sleeved pants,
because at least they are clean.
 
If I can find them again.
 
Our busy season ends,
with The Dance Recital.
 
A full week of pictures,
rehearsals,
and company.
 
We welcome this
with exhaustion,
and anticipation.
 
And like Christmas,
it is always worth the effort.
 
For starters,
Nanna comes.
 
In every scribble I have ever written,
in my School Days Book,
from Kindergarten through Senior of High School,
says "when I grow up I want to be...
 a dancer and a mom."
 
Dreams coming true here, Friends.
I am Dance Mom.

The Outlaws never miss,
and reminisce about Darci's dancing days.
 
Dave has now sat through more hours of
dance recital than any grandchild sport combined.
 
If you know Coach Dave...
well, he is a dedicated Popsi!
 
Diane, of course,
just loves the costumes,
and her little angels,
and always, ALWAYS
thinks they look and perform perfectly.

I was a bit more nervous than usual this year.
Lily was doing a lyrical performance,
 for her first time.
 
There were only 4 girls in this class.
 
It was Lily's favorite class.
 
She was the oldest and biggest one.
 
The performance involved a Merry Go Round,
and extra practices, and a million ways how this could go wrong.
 
Darin picked my mom up from the airport,
the night of rehearsal.
 
My mom made it in time for Lily's lyrical dance.
 
The song was called "Love You"
 
The lyrics started with...
"give a little time for the child within you,
don't be afraid to be young and free..."
 
The dance played to every strength of Lily's.
Her role was that of a big sister.
 
For the first time ever,
I saw Lily's nerves stop and her heart song begin,
right on that stage of rehearsal.
 
When the song ended,
my mom looked at me,
because she knew my nerves about it.
 
My mom looked at me when it was over,
curious to what I was thinking.
 
I was crying,
tears of joy and pride.
 
"She moved me, Mom!"
 
"I know, I know!" she responded.
It was a beautiful dance,
and Lily and team were beautiful dancers.
 
I swear it was the most beautiful dance,
in the whole show.
 
Not the most perfected technique, maybe.
Not the most competitive team, maybe.
 
Definitely the most beautiful,
 and moving number,
of all.
 
Turns out,
it was dance teacher Miss Anna's favorite too.
And the girls moved her to tears too.
 
The night of the show,
it really made an impression on the audience.
 
4 little girls,
non competitive dancers,
just sharing a story and friendship onstage,
about childhood innocence.
 
The applause was well earned.



 
I had to beg for an autograph.

Little Ceci did a tap routine to
"Classic".
She has a stage presence and the right amount
of sassy spunk.
At one part in the routine she points to the audience, and winks.
 
How's that for cute?
I love to dance.
Both of my girls are better dancers,
and braver on stage than I have ever been.
 
I love it!
Everybody Dance Now,
I'm going to get my Poms Poms from the basement storage.

No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive