We spent our last weekend of summer camping with besties, Clarks and Malin-Munsons. The Mitby's, Hunter's, and Jimieson's and Snoop Doggy D-aw-aw-awg also made an appearance.
We went to Devil's Lake.
As to be expected it took me some time to relax. There was so much prep work and packing and driving for a short weekend. Saturday morning on our blanket on the beach I was worried about sandy feet getting on the blanket, like the neurotic person I am. I decided (after much self talk), I was there to relax and enjoy the kids, so I best go ahead and get started on that.
The kids and I built the biggest sand castle on the beach. Bailey was the best help of all. The only one to stay focused with me, on our task until it was complete. My sunglasses broke in the process so I borrowed Hannah's pink shades. What a ridiculous picture. I can't help but post because the memory of our time brings me a smile. I was finally over myself and enjoying the kids, the sand, and the sun.
Lunch on the beach!
Jesse! Isn't she smitten?
We took the Merrimac ferry to get there.
What fun to share my childhood with (twin sister, ha!) Lily.
I used to live a short mile from the ferry and spent many a summer afternoon walking, riding, and getting ice cream from this very same location.
There are so many wonderful things about camping. The kids had so much fun with their given freedom and sense of adventure (with Hannah being the responsible oldest we let them take short walks alone). There were not distractions for us adults either. We were forced to cozy up around a campfire and talk. The food was amazing. The weather was amazing. The company was the best part.

1 comment:
Awwww! The Merrimac Ferry brings back great memories for me. I took Mark and Bailey when Bailey was 4 (12 years ago!!!!!), but have yet to take Fin. I think we'll have to go the next time we're in Lodi!
Post a Comment