Labels

Monday, September 19, 2011

Deck Crawl


Our neighborhood has a deck crawl.  This was our first time attending and hosting.  Such an awesome idea.  Each deck shares a beer (for the 50 people attending!) and a snack and a theme, if they wish. 
The Badgers were playing at Soldier Field that day so we hosted a natural Wisconsin theme.  D was at the game a week prior and brought home Wisconsin's own Spotted Cow and Supper Club Beer.  He also stopped at Lodi's Locker Market (Clark owned and best ever) for our preordered summer sausage, cheese, and cheese curds.  He was with a buddy from Chicago and on his way in someone (we still don't know who) hooted out "hey Darin!". 
I love my hometown for this, but I digress. 
We loaded the iPod up with "Jump Around" and other Wisconsin favorites. 
Our friends, The Mitby's arrived early (in Badger gear), we had pizza and re-introduced the kids to the babysitter from New Years Eve and sent the kids downstairs to play, for an overnight babysitter stay =  yea!

And then we cracked open a beer and waited and wondered if people would come. 
We were the second house of 9 on the list. 
Our dear neighborhood friends Joni and Steve came first.  
 And we enjoyed catching up for a few minutes until...
 50 people in official green deck crawl t shirts invaded our yard, scarfed our food and beer.  
Many I knew, some I introduced myself to. 
 It was a blast! 
In a half hour they left  = the biggest and easiest party I have ever hosted. 
(I can't believe I cleaned my whole house for this!  2 people used our powder room and one Man needed Band Aid.  I helped by providing the biggest Hello Kity Band Aid we had).
  And then they were gone. 
There was barely any clean up. 
We were on to the next deck. 
The highlights were: a deck with a WI microbrew where the food was micro = mini shrimp cocktail and mini loaded baked potatoes and MICROwave popcorn.  How cute? 
And then Steve and Joni had an Irish theme with green beer and Irish music and decor.  They were near the end and Kylie, our 6 year old bestie, reported back that she was so happy both Darin and I "kissed her when we saw her, because we are like her other parents!" 
We ended at my friend Paige's with Heineken and an Amsterdam theme including club music and naughty dancing in the red light district (around a camp fire) Ha!
We had so much fun! 
We made new connections in the hood. 
Many moms nights and playdates are in the works. 
 I was shocked to be so welcomed by people who already have people and we are so new. 
But when you meet people, you know when there is a connection. 
I orginally thought people would come in through the front door (hence the uber clean house) and be sad that is no longer the "Lento's house", as they knew. 
I too, wish I was neighbors with The Lento's and The Lowe's are no comparison for long term friendships that they had. 
We are however, making our own way here in the hood.
We reaffirmed the connections we already had. 
We have besties that came early and stayed late. 
And we left early and stayed late at their places to help with set up and clean up, or at least to keep each other company and giggle. 
We stayed out far too late. In fact the Mitby's headed back prior to us and when we stumbled home in the wee hours of the morning, we were alarmed to see we were  locked out! 
Ringing our door bell and trying to sneak into our own house!  Finally, someone came. 
I wish I had pictures of the fun times, but our hosting happened so fast and came and went and by then I was off having my own fun.  You will just have to know this is such a lovely idea, I credit our neighbors for creating the opportunity=
A chance to invite 50 people to your house with no nerves about hosting and little clean up when they leave. 
The only picture I have is the tub that normally holds our balls in the garage.  We filled it with 70 beers and ice for the party. 
After the final,and MINIMAL clean up yesterday, it sat in our kitchen.  And filled itself with precious Lowe girls. 


I love the sense of community we are gaining in our new hood.
And you are ALL invited next year. 
Anyone, everyone.  Come for good timin'!

No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive