The night before Lily's first day of school,
I said a prayer and it went something like this.
Dear God,
May I please wake up on time tomorrow.
And get out of my pajamas.
Do not allow me to turn on the Food Network or the computer.
May I be calm. May I make a healthy lunch for my child.
Did I fill out all the paperwork? Can you do it for me? Do I need cash in an envelope for something I already forgot?
Provide, Dear Father, with cash when I surely already forgot to put it in the envelope, in the folder, on the right hand side, as they have asked me to do, with a signature and a star sticker and my SSN in the folder placed in the left hand side pocket of the backpack on the day we were suppose to wear red and bring water bottles and sidewalk chalk to share.
May I smile. Don't let me cry. I can do this. Help me.
Yours Lovingly,
Me
The Girl woke up with abundance and excitement.
(she had a new dress, which has a lot to do with it)
First Grader.
We changed schools and it wasn't without much deliberation, research, and conversations with many educators and each other.
I am relieved to say we are affirmed in our decision.
Lily's start was also not without drama and emotion.
But now, on our second week, we are settling into our new routine.
Lily loves her teacher and her school.
She has already learned a lot. She is receiving all the positive feedback she craves.
And my prayers at night can now go to less selfish needs.
Kylie, her bestie from kindergarten, is in her first grade, at the new school.
You send them off.
Some mornings...
I can't wait for her to GO.
Drop her off.
Come home to the quiet house I wanted.
And notice what is missing.
And miss the noise and drama and fun that she brings to my everyday.
All the business that drives me batty.
I want it back.
And at 2:30 pm it comes back.
And I count the hours till bedtime.
These days are long and these years are short.
God Bless you Lily P.
Moving on and growing up.
I loved you then, and I love you now.

1 comment:
Love this post too!
Post a Comment