Labels

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Strides for Africa

Warning:

This post may shamelessly appear like a public service announcement.

Because it is.

See Lily, Hannah and Bailey below?

They are with our friend Myles.

Myles is from Ethopia.

He was adopted my dear friend Doogie (Chris Jimeson)

When Doogie went to Ethopia to bring Myles home he was appauled to see a 12 year old boy getting water from a near by ditch that the cows shared.

He promised to do something about it.

Doogie raised enough money last year to build a well in a rural Ethopian community and his passion continues.

I missed the fund raising event last year due to the Chicago Triathlon and immediately put it on my calendar to not miss this year.

Because, here is the truth People = only 1 in 10...

I am so grateful to have a friend so compassionate for a worthy cause that I can participate in.

This is the first run of my life that was truly fun.

I ran with Julie and we wanted the time to last forever!

For the first time in a long time we had uninterupted "coffee talk" on a Saturday morning. Our speed didn't matter one bit. We were running together in conversation at our own pace.

My favorite run of all times.
"Good multi-tasking" said Doogie to me afterwards!



I recruited Megan to the run. You know what?

She WON the race.

The first female finisher of all ages.

She rocks. She makes me proud.


We were pretty proud of ourselves for finishing (a 5K) too.

Why not?


Then it was time for the kids run (a 3/4 mile run).



Here's a pic of Doogie and I,

(compliments of Lily who said "Mom you are really dark")

I had to explain to Doogie, this comment meant the direction of the sun on us and nothing to do with Africa!

(she later asked if Doogie would take me to Africa, as it is my heart song and not hers or Darins')



Lily and Hannah ready to race.


Strong finish!

The event ended at Africa Fest at Warner Park in Madison.

We tried African crafts and food. It was awesome.

But mostly we learned that there is something we can do for folks anywhere.

We have something to give, we can give our simple love and compassion.

I thank Doogie for creating an event for us to participate in.

Later that day, we were thanked by the heavens with a double rainbow.




1 comment:

Sara said...

Next year, PLEASE, let me know when this event is so I can run too! Please...

Awesome job!

My Blog List

Blog Archive