Labels

Sunday, March 25, 2012

A come Back


For a moment I was in the worst pain of my life.
It came to my attention dramatically that I have a herniated cervical disc, pinching a nerve.
My back is shaped like this " ) " instead of this " ( ".
I had neurological damage.
Weakness in my right arm.
A (so- called- conservative) recommendation
for surgery asap,
as the only option.

This scared the beJesus out of me.
Not to mention the 4-6 week recovery and hard collar attire.
I was devastated. 
I consulted everyone I knew.
Then I promptly brought my strongest supporters to my next visit.
My mom and Darin.
They asked the right questions. 
And then some more.
And even more.
Until we were becoming a real pain in the neck
(haha) for this surgeon.
We walked out of the hospital with a treatment planned
that felt right to me.
Physical therapy.
Naturally, with my mom being an OT,
this was a welcome option to try.
Isometric exercises and a steriod epidural.
Naturally, with Darin being a football player,
he would be my biggest fan and
felt comfortable with these options.
I have started PT and I have a wonderful therapist
that believes in me.
I have had my steriod injection.
(did you know you have to go under anesthesia for this?)
I am back to all normal activities except heavy lifting
and yoga (which I will inquire about tomorrow)
I am off pain meds.  I have no pain.
The strength in my arm has returned.
The range of motion in my neck is improving.
I had lost a reflex and it has found is way back to me.
I am determined to prove the surgeon wrong.
This has everything to do with the moment
I decided to listen to myself instead of
(a brilliant, educated, and knowledgable) surgeon.
I believe I know what is best for me.
And it turns out, I am right.
Listen, Everyone to the voice within.
To your gut.
To your heart.
To your intuition.
You will be right everytime.
I wish this was my first instinct... instead of my second.

That being said, I know, I could be delaying surgery.
I saw the MRI and I saw the hunchback of Notre Dame. 
I saw the herniated disc that sticks out farther
than my Herwig chin.
Second opinions are calling the significance of it "impressive".
Whatever that means.
Thank goodness for medical professionals and medical technology.
Thank goodness surgery is an option for so many people
in so many cases that are similar or different than mine.
I have 4 loved ones, these week alone,
that have had surgery.
Not to mention the week before.
Or scheduled for next week.
I am so glad they had the option and
they are on their way to recovery.
 I love to believe in yoga, hippie, self healing, goodness.
I think attitude means a lot.
I have support and resources and that contributes
 to anyone's state of well being.
Surgery is necessary and vital for many.
There is a time and place where it is the best option.
I am so grateful that, at this moment in time, I am able to avoid it with full recovery and a dedicated prevention plan for my future.
I am training and fundraising for the Avon Walk with my mom.
I want support, resources, research, prevention
and yes even (or especially) surgery
to be there for those that need it.
I am thrilled to be back in action.
If you would like to donate, please visit:





My mom and I check our stats daily and tease
"Lines now open, accepting all donations."
I know there are a lot of good causes and no one can give to all.
I appreciate those of you that have already supported.


No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive