Labels

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Yea Baby, Mom' still got it!

I volunteer in Lily's classroom every week as Little Reader Helper.
I am the luckiest parent to have this opportunity.
Lily is so excited to have me there.
She lights up when I walk in.
She hoots out and runs up and hugs me in front of everyone.
Every. single. week.
(I blush...every.single.week.)
Then I promptly remind her to be quiet
and take her seat and listen to her teacher.

I know my time is limited for these blessed moments when the title of "Mom" = me being biggest heroine and idol in the eyes of my sweet children.
At this moment they want to be "like me".
They want to move and talk and dress and act
"like me"


I am not a religious person, but this blessed pedestal I am on, brings me to my knees in Hail Mary's, Our Father's, and Serenity Prayers, upon first thought.
Let my ego be BIG now,
as I know,
I will be quickly humbled in just a few years by these sweet children of mine.
How am I so smart you ask?
(Yes, my ego wonders the limits of my smarts, right now, sitting on the high horse my children have given me)
I will have a fall from grace.
Because...
I, too, wanted to be "my mom".
Until.. I reached a certain age and realized that,
 I had another choice.
I could also be the opposite of my mom.
(LIGHTBULB...
laaaaaaaa...I hear angels sing)
Especially, because we were already so similar.
Being and doing opposite
 felt like a good and right choice at the time.
I remember making choices, on purpose,
just to be not like my mom.
I had to prove myself somehow, as different than her.
Right of passage, perhaps.
Now at this ripe old age of nearly 36, I can only hope to be as awesome as my mom.
And my mom?
Well she reports, at times, she wishes she was more like me.
I am asking you 3 readers to please share this story with my angel babes when they are 12 and 15 and no longer listening to me.
Do you mind?
Much appreciated!


No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive