Labels

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Top Secret Post.

Shh.
Please use your inside reading voices.
Lily was invited to a birthday party for a boy in her class.
Let's call him "Ray", for example, not to name names or anything.
Now I digress, because as previously posted, birthday parties are a major big deal, in first grade.
Lily has been left out of many birthday parties from her girl friends at her new school.
It has hurt her.
 Lily is cool in her ways about it.
 I suggest she talk directly to her "friends" about it.
She has asks her "friends" about it.
They report she is "next on the list".
Or "if Soandso replies 'no', then maybe you could come".
Lily has understood these things with grace.
I do not understand these things, as well, as Lily.
I reflect on my childhood desire 
and I wanted to be liked and accepted so desperately.

Lily is not like me in that way.
She would rather play alone (gladly) her own way,
than do something that she doesn't want to do.
As an adult, these are the sorts of people I treasure most.
That being said...
Lily is not very good at letting others be in charge.
 I get this.
I was this (am this?) too.
But, being popular and accepted became more important to me, than having my way at some point...
I started doing things
because someone of power told me to
and I got positive feedback from belonging.
I encourage Lily to both "play nice" and to listen to the beat of her own drum at the same time.
A challenging balance for us all.

So you can imagine our delight when
 "Ray's" birthday invite of a...
drumroll...
 Glow In The Dark Pump It Up Party
for the whole class
came home in her backpack!
I praise Ray's parents (whom I haven't met) for including the ALL.
Secretly, Ray is my favorite child in that class that is not my own, or one that I hold as my own (bestie Kylie).
Ray is one of few boys, that make me wonder if I am missing something when it comes to sons.
This boy has all the talk and enthusiasm as Lily.
Ray secretly saved passing his reading level until the day I would be there...so I could be the one to pass him.
Our admiration is mutual.
That day, I was so floored with flattery, that I high fived him in celebration.
Typicaly, I don't like to touch first graders.
Primarily, because they pick their noses.
Many of the kids passed their reading levels on the same day, that I got so uber confident in my volunteer skills and I ending up high fiving everyone
(as inspired by Ray)
Then I got pink eye.
Whathaveyou.
Note to self. Not touching another first grader again.
Ray is cute and witty and funny and wise.
He tells me he was named after Raymond from
"Everybody Love's Raymond"
I do not know if his stories are true,
but I delight in hearing Ray's stories.
And I am not alone in this. 
Lily feels the same.
She thinks he is the cutest and nicest boy in her class.
She thinks she is "too young for a boyfriend,  so it is not like that or anything."
But if she HAD  to choose one,
"um..letmethinkletmethink... RAY!"
We bought her a glow in the dark shirt for the party that had her feeling Pump It Up!
Then we bought glow in the dark stickers to decorate his gift.


Lily was posing and posing...so I had to ask. 
Had to.
I'm The Mom. 
Its My Job.
"Lily, is Ray your boyfriend?"


"Stop it, stop it Mom, like seriously??"
In a very 16 year old voice.
With that 6 year old smile.
Come on.
Somebody help me.


"Okay, okay just one more...like this...but don't show it to Ray or anything."

Oh baby, I love you. 
I won't show this to Ray to anything.
But I have to post it for my 3 blog readers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh young love! Charlotte must have been in the background for the last picture. I think I see her hand :)

Erica @ Happenings at the Husted House said...

Love this post!

My Blog List

Blog Archive