Postcard Greetings, (3) Friends!
I am writing from Spring Break Chicago 2012
(aka home)
Darin has a work trip in Vegas this week,
(conveniently scheduled on his
off year of Bi-annual March Madness Trip).
He called to report today that it was his first day sober in Vegas.
Ever.
I sorta felt sorry for him.
This one time.
Because the girls and I are
absolutely HIGH on Girl Power.
We spent no less than 4 hours yesterday at
American Girl Place (AGP).
And because... it is Spring Break, and because... we are not really going anywhere,
we took luxury in our big city day together.
The night before we dressed our dolls,
picked out what we would wear,
packed our bags and planned our schedule.
We arrived early at the train station
and enjoyed coffee (me), and donuts (obviously vacation)
and juice on the train ride to the city.
I gave Lily the schedule and she read and counted the stops.
She informed us at each stop where we were and what came next and how many stops left.
She read every sign.
The girl can read everything.
A blessing and a curse, I am coming to find out.
When we arrived at the train station downtown we walked through and out the revolving door to the street.
I had a moment of panic when Lily didn't get out of the revolving door and I thought I might lose her forever in a busy train station.
"Mom, I was just doing the 'Elf' thing" she reported.
(You know what I am talking about, right?)
Ha!
I told her there would be a time and place for that 'Elf thing' and we could fit it in, and it wasn't going to be at the train station!
Then Lily hailed us a cab.
Seriously.
She has asked how to do it and I told her.
And she marched to the street with her finger in the air
"taxi!"
I love this girl.
We arrived at AGP with no agenda,
except lunch reservations at 12:30.
except lunch reservations at 12:30.
It was 9:30 am.
So we played.
And played.
We messed everything up.
Took everything as our own.
Sat down in the middle of the floor to change babies clothes.
We fed and bathed babies that were not ours.
We owned the place.
We ooh-ed and ahh-ed
at everyone and everything.
It was the time of my life.
American Girl has really wonderful lessons for girls about letting your inner star shine...teaching confidence, strength and kindness.
Truly a dream come true for little girls.
Truly a dream come true for me.
Lily brought her doll, Kit.
Charlotte brought her Bitty, named Minnie
(because naturally, Lily already has Bitty).
And they each picked out an outfit for their dolls.
Charlotte chose the Sparkling Birthday Outfit for Minnie.
A perfect choice, since it was actually
Minnie's birthday, on that day.
Well, I'll say...I had no idea!
How nice for us to be there to celebrate!
Lily chose the "Sweet School" dress for Kit.
Because ...
"she goes to sort of a Catholic school.
"she goes to sort of a Catholic school.
And has to wear knee socks".
Again, wow!
The things I learned!
I bought the official American Girl Doll hairbrush.
Because Kit and Dolly (Lily's Just Like Me Doll)
were begging me for it.
Once our dolls were all fancy we checked in.
Then Lily read us a new book that came with Minnie's outfit
and it was time for lunch.
(and I realize from this picture and not our outfit plan the night before, we all chose jean capris and stripes.)
Isn't it ironic? Don't cha think?
Our outfits are an electic mix of Target and Goodwill brands.
The doll outfits cost my last paycheck.
Minnie really enjoyed her birthday celebration
and the food was delicious!
The whole experience was Disney-like.
Seriously, a 5 course meal.
Spectacular service.
Lily has too much of everything.
(that is what you get for being first born grandchild on all sides)
Lily has never totally attached to any toy.
On this day, she loved and nurtured and cared for Kit.
Lily, who often acts like a teenager, became comfortable with her innocent, child-like self.
It was wonderful to watch her let her guard down, let her "image" go, and just enjoy herself in the safe place AGP created.
There was a box of questions at our table that we played throughout our lunch.
"would you rather wear mittens, or gloves?"
"would you rather swim in a pool, lake, or ocean?"
When we had exhausted all the fun to be had at AGP,
Lily hailed us another cab to my office for a
pre-planned Banana Split Party.
I admit, I suggested it.
I offered to pay for it.
I said something to a former boss, the Director of HR, Barb
(who was my boss at the time of Lily's birth)
and she took it from there.
We arrived "quietly" so I could catch up on email
and get the girls comfortable in strange surroundings.
It took Charlotte about 30 seconds to hop in my chair and open my drawer and apply lip gloss and hand sanitizer =
Just Like Me.
She's already got the sales thing down.
The ice cream was planned.
What transpired was magic.
Barb bought Legos for the girls.
There were my co workers playing with my kids.
Team Building some would say.
To start, I was nervous.
The only thing I knew for sure,
was that my kids would embarass me.
(and Lily did say the back room was as H-O-T as Ricky Martin)
was that my kids would embarass me.
(and Lily did say the back room was as H-O-T as Ricky Martin)
I was wrong about the embarassment, however.
My kids delighted and impressed me.
I shut up and let them run the show.
They were so comfy cozy in the presence of comfy cozy
co workers that they showed their true selves.
co workers that they showed their true selves.
They shared their jokes:
Lily's is "where do cows go on their second date?
To the mooovies!"
"Mom, do yours!" she demands.
"What do you call cheese that is not your own?
Nacho cheese!"
Charlotte do yours...
"knock, knock. who's there? Sarah.
Sarah who?
Sarah doctor in the house?"
I must be honest, our office is under construction.
My closest co workers work remotely.
I work part time and I am so busy working at work that I haven't taken the time to get to know the new folks.
It was these new folks that joined us.
And overwhelmed me with their kindness to my kids.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
I have the best job ever.
I work with the nicest people in all the land.













No comments:
Post a Comment