Labels

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Green Eggs and Ham

By Lily's request, I had arranged a playdate for her, and her friends.
The friends she chose to invite were some neighbors and some first grade friends and some first grade friends that were also neighbors but not from the same school friends.
Its complicated, right?
Well, everyone she wanted to invite had some connection with someone we knew, so I was able to invite these all folks to our house.
And we all put it on our calendars.
And when the time came, I had to admit,
I was not so much up for hosting
(especially newbies with our reputation on the line) 
with my neck condition, but I also did not want to cancel.

So I suggested we do something that would be easier on me,
by going to the opening IMAX movie of The Lorax, on Dr. Seuss's birthday instead.
And to my delight, they were all in!
I suggested we get our tickets early.
Arrive early.
This is like a major big deal, right?
Right.
(the theater was nearly empty, no worries we were all late)
So, as in the previous post...
we have no groceries.
I made green eggs and "ham"
for dinner.
We sang Happy Birthday to Dr. Seuss.
(much prettier and tastier than the picture suggests, I must add)
 And we were off to meet our friends at the theater.
The girls appeared to me to have only needed a ride.
I witnessed them run off with their secret first grade talk in the photo booth, leaving all moms and little siblings begging for tokens and popcorn in the dust behind them.
 Do  you see what I mean when you look at Little Sis here, wanting to take part with the big girls, but not really knowing how.
Whining, whimpering, and demanding to be in the picture without a smile or her glasses.
The movie was a fantastic story.
I was totally enlightened because I hate to speak it outloud, but...
I didn't like Horton Hears a Who
(the kids did not love it either)
I loved The Lorax.
We invited everyone back to our place after.
D picked up pizzas and wine at my request.
Our house still has Valentine decorations.
 I didn't clean the basement for this affair.
It was a wonderful impromptu, casual and low stress evening.
We had so much fun our company didn't leave until the kids were about falling asleep standing up.
When someone announced it would be tomorrow in a half an hour, everyone headed out the door.
I think sometimes when you plan less and just let things fall into place naturally, it all turns out better in the end.
This was one of those magical and unexpected evenings.
The kind of night that would not have happened so delightfully if I had ordered it on a platter and presented perfect anything.
My guests were free to get to know us, not our stage face, but our realness.
And therefore, they brought with them, their true selves.
Much better than perfect appetizers or party games. 

No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive