Labels

Friday, October 29, 2010

Sportsmanship when it comes to carving

Ok, I admit. I was sorta done with Halloween before it began. And I am so sorry to say this because I love the holiday. But we had decorated our house and shopped for our costumes and gone to the pumpkin patch. We had prepared and prepared and prepared (in our minds eye).

And then out of the blue it was here! And we had pumpkins to carve and we didn't have the time. So quickly between errands and other things I set us up for pumpkin carving...





All parents know this involves all the work for you and about 10 minutes of joy for the kids.



Here we are at minute 8, in about 2 they will run off only to return to the finish product, calling it "theirs"




I, on the other hand, am all about determination and winning. I want the best pumpkins ever and I don't even care if we are having a good time. I just want good pumpkins.

Here we are with my owl, Lily's witch (a ridiculous request if you ask me) and Charlotte's kitty.





I did a quick poll on Facebook. Either Lily or Charlotte won the contest. Go figure. I only got one vote (thank you Brenda). Anywho, they both enjoyed the fame while I roasted the seeds, swept, took the garbage out, etc. And by the way the pumpkins we carved smelled nothing like the pumpkin spice candles we spent our last paycheck on.


As martyr as I am, I am so grateful to watch my kids enjoy the goo (in fact, Charlotte started re-stuffing the pumpkins!), and when they ran off and I remained...I got into a zen with my little saw of a tool and internet template.


D and I did carve pumpkins BC (before children), and we did judge. And I always lost and it was always on the sportmanship category. And Darin didn't have the opportunity to join us this year.
So I WON.


Bad sport. Told you.


Our judging categories were and remain:


Scariest = D

Most Creative = H

Best in Show = H

Most Festive = D

Sportmanship = D.


This is the first time either of us has ever won a new category! And it was me. Did I say that already? I hate to repeat myself. Better luck next year D!


The end.






1 comment:

Sara said...

Oh, Heather, I so enjoyed this post. I felt the same exact way about the holiday and carving pumpkins this year. We, too, ran out of time and carved on Sunday. It was exactly like you said...ten minutes in and I was doing all the work myself and Madeline was off playing in the other room.

Now to prepare for Thanksgiving and Christmas! ;)

My Blog List

Blog Archive