Cathie held a surprise 50th bday party for hubby, Bob on a Thursday night in Lodi.
Darin and I discussed the possibility of attending and then politely declined,
for a million and one reasons.
As the days got closer,
Cathie was asking me for advice on music for his video montage
(which I offered with super enthusiasm and then just could not stop coming up with songs for him. I wanted to be part of the party planning!)
Then my childhood friend Becky's, Grandma passed, which resulted in Becky being in the area from her world wide travels
(world wide being literal here and I only have a handful of friends of the world wide variety and I treasure them. Becky the most).
And my mom was here and willing to help out
and basically...
well..
I can't miss a party!
So I went.
I put on my out of office message and left for approximately 18 hours, sort of secretly.
I know this was spontaneous and irrational.
And so me.
I felt like I moved heaven and earth to get there.
When in reality,
I just left a million little reminders around the house about:
*pie fundraiser is due-write check
*complete spelling homework and return
*times and address of dance-with orders to dress the girls and get them there
*suggesting this and this for dinner, if needed
*if baths don't happen, I won't be mad
Then I rescheduled all my work meetings, stating I had a "prior committment"
And on my drive up,
listening to my tunes,
I knew in my heart and soul
I made the right choice.
Spontaneous and irrational?
Yes.
But, in this one life that I have to live,
why in God's Great Earth would I ever stop a moment like this?
I wouldn't.
Couldn't.
Didn't.
(I think somewhere in storage I have
a similar picture of us like this, but from the 7th grade)
Reuniting with Becky was inspirational!
But of course it was, because she is an Artist.
She is also brilliant, insightful, comfy, cozy and all those things you expect from an artist.
But bigger is that she loves me
with her whole heart.
Always has.
And I love to be loved like that
(who doesn't?)
We have a long childhood history together,
it was awesome to reconnect
as grown ups, and mothers.
I learned so much from our short time together.
I was also back with these girls,
my preemie twin sisters.
I really was there for me Bob.
I love Bob.
I love Bob so much, that I hug him.
And I hold his hand.
And I have his wife stand next to his brother at the end of the party,
so I can sit right on top of next to him
for a picture.
That's how deep is my love for Bob, as you can clearly see below.
for a picture.
That's how deep is my love for Bob, as you can clearly see below.
Happy Birthday Bob!
Your 50 years have been a gift to us all!
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth.

No comments:
Post a Comment