Hi Friends!
Halloween has passed.
Are you done Christmas shopping yet?
Me either.
You want to know why?
Because, we have this wonderful month.
Its called November.
And I don't like to ignore it.
It holds one of my favorite holidays.
Its one of my most favorite times of the year.
The Christmas frenzy will come.
For a moment I want to sit here in the calm
before the storm of what comes next.
Like most of you, we are
incredibly busy in December.
But November?
November is different.
We have a lieeettle more time.
Last year I over analyzed the whole
"Elf the Shelf" trend.
I ultimately didn't do it for a million reasons.
I could write a book on
my Elf on the Shelf opinions.
One reason I didn't do it was because...
who has the time of any added extra anything with a month full of added extra everything?
I equally love and don't love this idea.
So this year, I decided we would do a twist
on Elf on the Shelf.
We would take turns hiding a turkey for the month of November and we would include a note of what we are grateful for.
I started.
I was thankful for "You"-and Lily found it.
Lily was grateful for shopping,
Charlotte for family,
D for "The Family Hug",
Me for the right to vote,
and back to Lily.
Here was her message when we found it.
And once again, I see I am both
the student and the teacher.
As I struggle with self esteem,
and jealousy and all those ugly things,
my daughter shares her wisdom.
I am so incredibly proud of this note.
So proud that I am going to frame it
and hang it as a reminder to love myself.
And then gift it back to her someday,
when she may be feeling as I have been,
a bit insecure.
I will want her to be reminded of herself,
in her 7 year old writing,
that she is thankful for her.
I want to remind myself right now,
that I am still the princess
my 7 year old self thought I was.
I will start treating myself accordingly.
Singing only praises to myself and curtsying
everytime I walk into a room.
Thank you Lily!


No comments:
Post a Comment