This week we got a dining room set. All our rooms are full. The walls are now waiting for our pictures and our stories.
I have never had a formal dining room. Being One that invites everyone to our house all the time, this lack of dining room has posed quite a challenge in seating arrangements in the past. We've pulled up chairs and stools and ate outside. Sometimes bringing outside furniture in to make a place for everyone. Sometimes bringing inside furniture out. Sometimes eating in shifts. Sometimes eating on the floor, calling it a "picnic".
Today I am more than proud to announce my first formal dining room. Since my first peek at this house, I have held visions of children playing in the basement once they finish their hot dogs, and start to snack on popcorn. Meanwhile, in my minds eye the adults feast on food fit for kings, empty every last bottle of free flowing wine, and the candles are melted to their end (I maybe got this vision from a scene in the movie "The Holiday"?). I imagine laughter and music and connection, eventually, finally, after hours and hours and hours we all feel full. Both our stomachs and our hearts. Have I lost you or are you still with me?
I have been searching and searching for The Table we will sit around. And play cards. Do puzzles. Have family dinners. Host family holiday gatherings. And be. With our family. With our friends. Morning coffee with myself. Whathaveyou. I found it. How? You wonder? I had bid on many a Craiglist dining sets with no success for many a reason. So I let this vision go for a while. Daring not to bring in anything that caused any sort of stress on any one of us for any reason. (I am so weird like that). So I set it free, so to speak.
Last week, I said to Darin, let's prepare the dining room for our table (God Bless Darin who really does listen to me and understands me. And when or if he doesn't he at least plays along so well that I don't know anything different). Our dining room had been a holding quarters for all decorations, Goodwill donations, and otherwise unknown items until now. Once the room was clear it took me no time at all to find our table (via Craigslist naturally).
Here it is. My FAVORITE room of the house. I have yet to set it. Or eat at it. (We just got it yesterday). But I gaze at it. I sit in it. I dream of it. I love it. Its waiting for your stories. Your stupid jokes. Your honesty. Your ego. Your controversy. Whatever you have to bring to it. We welcome you. As long as you don't spill on the chairs. You know I am only half kidding :)
In addition to this, I had another FIRST tonight. I grilled kabobs by myself. Darin coached me on how to light a grill via conference call. I didn't burn myself. I didn't burn down the house. After this accomplishment, I know I can do anything. So, I ask you, what's your flavor?
I have (high school and college) years and years of experience with this sort of thing..."I'm Heather and I'll be your server tonight. What can I get you started with?"

1 comment:
I see you have a vegetarian menu! Love it. Be right there....
Post a Comment