Friends,
I am pleased as punch to write this post.
My Grandma turned 90
(or 30 for the 3rd time, as I tell her).
This is the best reason to celebrate.
My Grandma is in great health.
I think this has something to do,
with her active social life,
her competitive card playing skills,
her morning stretches,
her typewriter,
her typewriter,
and her ability to love and be loved.
Her and my belated Grandpa
feel in love eons ago.
My Grandpa passed away decades ago.
She tells me, their marriage was like this...
"on Saturdays, we wanted to spend the day
together, so he would say,
do you want to dust or vacuum
and I will do the other
so we can enjoy the day together...
We did the dishes together every night,
and whoever was drying
would give the other
a love tap with the towel.
That is just the way it was
That is just the way it was
with your Grandpa and I.
It wasn't until after he died that I realized,
not all marriages were like this.
I will forever miss him
and remember our good times."
I know there were tough times,
for my Grandma and Grandpa.
For starters, they had 8 kids.
Which is absolutely wonderful and insane.
There is one really tall
and unique brother
missing from this picture.
That is my Dad.
and unique brother
missing from this picture.
That is my Dad.
His siblings remind me of him,
in all the wacky and wonderful Herwig ways.
in all the wacky and wonderful Herwig ways.
The siblings found wonderful
And then those siblings and their partners
had kids of their own.
So Grandma's family tribe grew and grew.
Because now, those grandkids have kids.
So she has Grands and Greats,
as we are called.
Here's Grandma with the Grands and Greats.
If you look closely you will see,
Grandma and I are so
amazed by this,
we can't stop talking about it,
even for a picture!
If you look closely you will see,
Grandma and I are so
amazed by this,
we can't stop talking about it,
even for a picture!
Here's all of Grandma and Grandpa's kids,
and their kids,
and their kids' kids.
Grandma is happiest,
when we are all together.
Its my wish,
(is it everyone's?)
to be the guest of honor,
front and center
with all my babies
and their partners,
and their babies,
at a party like this someday.
(no pressure Lily and Charlotte to have at least 10 children each)
Big families are awesome.
Because I got an older sister,
in the form of my youngest Aunt, Sarah.
And as the baby of the family,
she got a younger sister in me,
the oldest Granddaughter.
And we both got a brand a new baby boy,
that somehow belongs to us,
even if his mom is our cousin/niece.

And my sisters and I, get mothered,
at a family gathering,
even when our Mom's don't attend.
My kids get
tons of cousins,
of all ages,
somehow.
There is a spot for everyone,
and everyone belongs.
That is the best part of this big family.
Big families are awesome.
Because I got an older sister,
in the form of my youngest Aunt, Sarah.
And as the baby of the family,
she got a younger sister in me,
the oldest Granddaughter.
And we both got a brand a new baby boy,
that somehow belongs to us,
even if his mom is our cousin/niece.

And my sisters and I, get mothered,
at a family gathering,
even when our Mom's don't attend.
My kids get
tons of cousins,
of all ages,
somehow.
There is a spot for everyone,
and everyone belongs.
That is the best part of this big family.
As our grand matriarch
made a wish before blowing out her candles,
I knew she was taking her time,
not because she is old and slow,
but instead
because she is wise and thoughtful,
because she is wise and thoughtful,
and she was appreciating the moment,
with her big, proud, family,
and sending a hope and a prayer,
that Grandpa and Dad and Aunt Mary,
and her Brother Don, and husband Earl,
and all those loved ones
that were missing,
that were missing,
were witnessing from heavens above.
And then she blew out,
her tricky candles,
that kept relighting.
Over and over.
And if you look at the crowd,
they were helping from afar,
trying to do it for her,
in their minds eye.
She did it all on her own.
My Grandma is a pioneer of
equal parts, independence,
and connection.
I am so blessed to be one of hers.
My Grandma is a pioneer of
equal parts, independence,
and connection.
I am so blessed to be one of hers.
#1 Granddaughter, as she says.
Its a very special place to be.
Its a very special place to be.
Happy 90th Birthday,
and many more!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment