Labels

Sunday, July 14, 2013

SoCA Vacay-Hollywood

Friends,
Let me continue.
 
We had to go to Hollywood.
It was on Lily's Life List.
 
We take these lists seriously.
Plus, we happened to be in the area, so...
 
We started with lunch at The Rainbow Room.
A recommendation from 
our rock star friend, John.
He used to live here, of course.
 
You know John. 
Our wedding singer.
 
Anyway, this is the place where musicians
hang after their shows.
 
I think Heather Locklear made out
with a lot of guitarists here.
 
I think Guns and Roses wrote songs here.
Maybe while sitting next to Aerosmith.
 
Actually, I have no idea.
 
But I know its The Place To Be.
So we were gonna Be too.
 
We decided noon was a safe hour to visit
rock stars in their element. 
 
It was.
 
They weren't awake yet.
 
But I think they were holding a secret dirty Poker Party upstairs and we weren't invited.
 

 We did our part and party-ed like rock stars.
Hard core.
 
I had 2 glasses of Chardonnay
in the middle of the afternoon.
 
And wouldcha look at
the size of the Kiddie Cocktails???
 
Man, we were rocking out!
Sucking them down!

 We ordered too much food.
 
I packaged it up to give to the homeless.
 
Lily hates it when I do this.
"give food to hobos."
 
I just told  her to relax
and I wasn't going to make a scene or anything,
and I could always throw it away,
but if the opportunity presented itself,
I would be happy to share.
I hate to waste food and
we didn't have a fridge in our hotel room,
so if someone was in need, I wanted to help...
 
Then, Lily was the one to point out,
the exact "hobo" I should give it too.
 
Rolling her eyes, embarrassed of me, she says,
"Mom, look.  Its him.  Its for him. 
There's the hobo you should give it to."
 
So I did.
 
I had to apologize I didn't have a fork.
Or an end of the meal smoke to share.
 
He was so grateful, anyway. 
 
Then, Lily and I shared a secret handshake
and smile as we walked away.
 
We were both happy the good food
was in good hands.
 
Hollywood was sad irony to me.
 
Extreme wealth
and poverty,
 living as next door neighbors.
 
The streets were sad and desperate.
 
Beverly Hills was over the top money.
 
The real hills were beautiful.
 And The Sign,
like a symbol of possibility.
 Even for our little Cinderella.
 So, we walked the stars.
Finding our favorites.
Islands in the stream, that is what we are.
 
I was excited about every star.
 
Darin was just excited he stumbled upon
Al Bundy, and even requested a pic.
And we found there's already a spot for our star.
We took a tour of celebrity homes.
We had to.
I mean, we were there.
We saw all the homes,
but this was the only famous person we saw.
 I realized being famous
and being awesome,
isn't always the same thing.
 
So I was happy,
just to be with The Awesome,
pretending to be red carpet famous.
 Everyone famous or not,
ends up at the same place
by the end of the night anyway.
You know the place.
 
In-n-Out on Sunset Blvd, obviously.
 
 “Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul. I know, because I turned down the first offer often enough and held out for the fifty cents.”
―
Marilyn Monroe
 
 
Blowing Kisses to you, and Marilyn, Friends! 


No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive