Labels

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Baby Sister Emily Graduates!

My youngest sister, Emily is a college graduate!
Holy Moly, do I feel proud of her!
 (also, incredibly old, of me.)

This is a major accomplishment.
Celebrating with her, took me back in time.
I remember the dedication and perseverance it took to get there.

I remembered the moments,
that at the time,
I promised myself I would never remember
and it wasn't worth stressing over.

Emily, (and her amazing Mom, Cheryl) shared with us her story
and it reminds me of a few of those moments,
that I thought I would never remember.

Upon arrival, their stories brought back my memories.
Because graduating from college is not one big leap,
but a series of moments, and events over a period of time.
And a determination to keep moving forward,
towards your goal.
And the goal, at times,
is so distant and seemingly,
 unrelated to the course that you are on.
But you wake up, everyday
and move forward,
get closer.
I remember, a time when I woke up a roommate,
begging her to proofread my paper at 3 in the morning,
because I had just finished it.
It was due at 8 am
If it wasn't perfect...
 I would fail.
Drop out.
Die.

And I remember...
 having a long list of assignments to complete for the week
and a full work schedule at the coffee shop, because rent was due.

Completing both would be a nearly impossible feat
for a 20 something me, with a very important social life.

I remember...
a broken heart was the best excuse to ignore my studies
and my future, because it was over anyways.
Some boy didn't love me and I wanted,
wait, no...
needed him to,
or I would never go on.

 I remember those moments.
And I could only live in those exact moments
with some sort of  Apple Pucker shot,
brought to me in sympathy,
because my girlfriends said I was too good for him anyway.
And I believed them.
Because I was.
(thanks to the Girls at 435 Lake St. for the reminder)

Emily has done all this with more grace and maturity than I did.
When as you have read, I set the bar high!

What impresses me about Emily,
 even more than the degree she's obtained,
is seeing her grow into herself.
On her big day, she honored her family.
(I remember my big day being about...yours truly.  Only.)

Emily was so happy to have her family together.
Nevermind, it was her big day
to bask in the glow of her accomplishment.
She honored us.
Emily has always been the best at expressing herself, connecting others, and being true to her beliefs.
Our family is an interesting and
somewhat wayward bunch, I'll admit.
And she was proud to call us "hers".
She accepts and loves us all.
 I call this "bring them to your Thanksgiving Table"
We all have family.
We are all wayward.
And I love the idea of bringing all The Crazies together.
The invite is open to anyone,
 to come to our table.
Sit with us.
Make faces at each other.
Judge, if you must.
Whatever.
Just come and be together.
Half siblings?  "Broken" families?  Outlaws?
Are you rich, smart, stupid, ugly?
We have a place for you, right here.
Come.  Join.  There is a spot at our table for you.
The difference between Emily and I, is that she does this with comfort.  Grace.  Ease.  Every one around her is relaxed, because she is truly comfortable with herself.

I do this too, minus the grace.
I have all my everloving intentions,
and then I show it by major anxiety and discomfort being surrounded by those that know me best.
In many ways I want grow up, and be more like my
Baby Sister Emily.

In other ways, I want to grow up and be more like
my First Little sister, Amy.
Amy is fostering two wee ones.
I have always wanted to do this and have yet to take the leap.
Here's Amy, doing it.
It is bigger and harder and more complicated
than my simple mind ever imagined.
And yet, Amy is living it.
Parenting two babes that were dropped at her door.
She was ready.
I have asked her over and over and over again,
because I just don't get it.
"How do you know what to do?"
(because I had 9 months warning,
and years apart between siblings
to try to figure it out and I am still at a loss)
She is just doing it.
I try to talk The Talk with her.
You know, offer some sort of motherly advice.
Give her support.
Love.
Dudes, she has it covered.
She was born knowing what to do.
It came with her DNA
(and I missed this gene)
I wonder, question, second guess, fake and mistake A LOT!
Amy's got it.
And thank goodness, because now my girls have cousins!!!
The social worker in me cringes at
how I should know better than to get too attached.
My heart, and my wise Sister Amy,
says it perfectly when she says
"we have to forget about the frustration of the system and remember we are doing this for the kids."
And I remember, my Sister Sue was in foster care
for a short period of time. 
And my friend Cathie, did foster care for a short period of time.
And I know, as foster parents and foster kids.
That short period of time made a difference.
To us all.

So I go on learning from my family.
Learning from those younger than me, and treasuring the role models ahead of me. 
And then, I start to think...
maybe we are just the right amount of wayward and crazy.
And I am blessed for my family.
It doesn't matter where we came from.
We are here now.

No comments:

My Blog List

Blog Archive