And speaking of Captain Lily.
The One always in charge.
Big Sister.
Charlotte did not want to do her preschool show without Lily.
She wanted Lily there.
And I thought and thought about this request.
At first, I thought it was impossible because Lily had school.
And then I got to thinking in my higher mind
(pun intended).
The One always in charge.
Big Sister.
Charlotte did not want to do her preschool show without Lily.
She wanted Lily there.
And I thought and thought about this request.
At first, I thought it was impossible because Lily had school.
And then I got to thinking in my higher mind
(pun intended).
Lily has only missed one day of school this year
(due to our Thanksgiving travel arrangements)
Lily had one major accomplishment left for 1st grade =
master 95% correct in her 3 minute math time test.
This TIME test has proved challenging for Lily.
Time management is just not her thing.
Distraction is.
Distraction is.
In the middle of her practice tests, she gets up, twirls around, remembers something important to talk about, fixes her hair, creates lyrics to a song, etc.
I told her if she could master this timed math skill she could
play hooky and join Charlotte in her last day of preschool.
I had faith.
I knew she could do it.
I knew she had a new determination
because of the reward.
Lily has been more curious than anyone
about how Charlotte was doing at preschool.
Asks daily
(in a high and sing song voice),
"How are you doing, Ceci?
Is it hard?
Do you like it?
What are you learning?
Who are your friends?
Are they nice to you?
Do you like your teachers?"
Lily nods along and listens, hears.
And then shares, protective, Big Sister stuff,
as if she was actually Charlotte's Mom
or Charlotte's husband.
"Ceci, I've been there."
"I understand."
And I hear it,
and I translate
"I got your back, you are cool with me."
So it surprised me none,
but delighted me, nonetheless,
when Lily rose to the occasion!
Rocked her math test at 98%.
And we played hooky!
play hooky and join Charlotte in her last day of preschool.
I had faith.
I knew she could do it.
I knew she had a new determination
because of the reward.
Lily has been more curious than anyone
about how Charlotte was doing at preschool.
Asks daily
(in a high and sing song voice),
"How are you doing, Ceci?
Is it hard?
Do you like it?
What are you learning?
Who are your friends?
Are they nice to you?
Do you like your teachers?"
Lily nods along and listens, hears.
And then shares, protective, Big Sister stuff,
as if she was actually Charlotte's Mom
or Charlotte's husband.
"Ceci, I've been there."
"I understand."
And I hear it,
and I translate
"I got your back, you are cool with me."
So it surprised me none,
but delighted me, nonetheless,
when Lily rose to the occasion!
Rocked her math test at 98%.
And we played hooky!
"Are you going back to school now?"
many asked upon the preschool song completion.
"No, no, she is not. We are taking the whole day!"
I responded for Lily.
many asked upon the preschool song completion.
"No, no, she is not. We are taking the whole day!"
I responded for Lily.
I was impressed with my elementary school rebellion.
Felt a bit of a thrill calling her in absent that day.
(nevermind it was totally planned with her teacher in advance and we worked around all homework and assignments given on that day)
I just felt empowered to take parenting into my own hands again
when it comes to the many rules and protocol of school.
We declared, sisterhood was more important, on this particular day.
And it was a reward to us all.
Charlotte performed with Lily's approving eye.
Lily rocked her math test 98%, instead of the necessary 95%.
I, told myself, in a world of
parenting should's and shouldn't's,
I trust my instinct
and am willing to play by my own rules
with my children.


No comments:
Post a Comment